Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a TOEFL or IELTs score if I have finished a degree that was instructed in English?

    No. A statement from your institution to verify that your program was instructed in English will be considered a sufficient proof of English proficiency.
    Further details about English proficiency requirement can be found at
  • Is a supervisor required before I apply?

    No. You do not need a supervisor before filing an application. Supervisor(s) will be assigned once an application for M.Eng or PhD is accepted. To identify potential supervisor(s) and research area(s), you may check the faculty profile at Students admitted to course-based MASc and Graduate Diploma programs do not need supervisors.
  • Will my admission offer be sent to me by courier?

    No. The admission letter will be sent to the email box provided on your application. This scanned copy shall be sufficient for your visa application.
  • Can my application be considered if it is submitted after the application deadline?

    Applications made after the deadline will be considered if resources are available. For instance, if funding and supervisor can be allocated, admissions for thesis-based M.Eng and PhD programs can be made. If resources for admission review is available for course-based MASc and graduate diploma programs, admissions will be made.

  • Can I transfer credits from another institute?

    Yes. Please file an application and submit the required documents. Please indicated in your application documents that you wish to be considered for credit transfer. Once a review on your application is complete, you will be notified about the decisions.


Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science

230 Elizabeth Ave

St. John's, NL A1B 3X9 CANADA

Tel: (709) 864-2530

Fax: (709) 864-2552