Please Enter a Search Term

FAQ for New Faculty

Academic questions

Another important resource is the Handbook for Undergraduate Per Course Instructors and New Faculty.

Dr. Cecile Badenhorst has created a useful handbook for any sessional instructors teaching in the Post-Secondary program. Any interested instructors can find the document below:
Post-Secondary Teaching and Learning Framework


Where do I find out about opportunities for research grants?
The Office of Research maintains a listing of research grant opportunities, including detailed information about internal grants, which are available to Memorial University faculty members only. You can also contact the Grants Facilitation Officer in the Faculty of Education for information about any funding-related matter.

Are there any special research grants especially for new faculty?
The SSHRC/Vice President's Research Grants provide up to $7000 for short-term research projects. The program particularly encourages requests from new faculty.

How do I get ethics approval for research?
In order to receive ethics approval for your research project, you must apply to the university's Interdisciplinary Committee on Ethics in Human Research (ICEHR). The ICEHR website provides a detailed overview of the policies and processes. A form-fillable PDF version of the application for ethics review is available. Applications must be submitted at least 4 weeks before ethics approval is required.

I'd like to hire a graduate student as a research assistant. How do I go about that?
Graduate assistantships are available for teaching and/or research support. A graduate student's work hours cannot exceed twenty-four hours per week. The Department of Human Resources provides general information about student employment. For more detailed information, consult the following pages on the School of Graduate Studies website:

As well, the Graduate Student Work Experience Program (GradSWEP) provides funding to hire a graduate student for a 75-hour job placement in partnership with a community agency (which must provide 50% of the salary cost). If you would like to offer a GradSWEP position, you must submit a proposal to the Centre for Career Development.

How can I find out what research is being done by people at Memorial?
There are two main ways to learn about research conducted at Memorial:

  • Yaffle, a searchable database of Memorial's research (developed by the Harris Centre)
  • Inventory of Sponsored Projects, a detailed listing of all funded research (provided by the Office of Research)

I would like to connect my research with the community. Can the university help?
The Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development co-ordinates the university's educational, research, and outreach activites as they relate to regional policy and development. Browse the Harris Centre's website to learn more about the university's outreach activities.

Do I need to apply for travel money?
You are encouraged to apply for travel funding from various sources, such as the internal SSHRC Travel Grant for Paper Presentation at Scholarly Conferences. Supplementary funds are also provided by the university's Professional Development and Travel Expense Reimbursement Fund (source: the MUNFA collective agreement), which provides up to $1600 per fiscal year. Unused amounts may be carried forward for up to two years.

What kind of expenses can my travel funding cover?
For a detailed list of eligible expenses, consult the university's travel policy. For certain expenses, such as meal allowances and vehicle mileage, there is a list of set rates that must be followed. An electronic version of the travel claim form (in Microsoft Excel format) is also available.


I'm interested in developing an onilne course. Who do I see about that?
You can develop an online course with the assistance of DELT (Distance Education and Learning Technologies). For detailed information, visit this page and click to view the "Content Author's Guide".

I'd like to hire a graduate student as a teaching assistant. How do I go about that?
Graduate assistantships are available for teaching and/or research support. A graduate student's work hours cannot exceed twenty-four hours per week. The Department of Human Resources provides general information about student employment. For more detailed information, consult the following pages on the School of Graduate Studies website:

How can I get help with my teaching dossier?
The Instructional Development Office provides extensive resources for developing a teaching dossier, including guidelines and samples.

How do I know which courses are being offered?
For graduate courses in the Faculty of Education, a three-year plan of course offerings is available. The Office of the Registrar provides searchable lists of course offerings for the current semester (and the upcoming semester as it approaches).



What are the dates for Faculty Council?
The Faculty Council generally meets on first Tuesday of each month.

What types of committees can I get on?
See this list of standing committees of the Faculty Council.

University Library

Does the library offer tours?
If you would like your students to learn about the library, you can arrange a library instruction class. This class will be taught in the library by an Information Services librarian. The content can be tailored to meet your needs.

Can I order or renew library materials online?
You can view your library account by logging into the library catalogue. In order to do this, you must set up a password. Once you have logged in, you can see a list of materials you have checked out and renew them as desired. Click here for more information.

What are the library's hours?
The hours of the Queen Elizabeth II Library are available here. Note that during the spring semester, the library generally closes earlier in the evenings and on weekends. In the 2 to 3 weeks between semesters, the library is only open during normal business hours.

Is there a limit to the number of books I can take out, or the length of time I can keep them?
The library's borrowing policies are described in detail online. Faculty members can borrow books for a period of 4 months. After this time, you can renew your loan if no one else has requested the books. There is no limit to the number of books you can borrow.

What other resources does the library provide?
The library provides a wide range of resources and services, including:

  • RefWorks, a tool for collecting references and automatically formatting bibliographies in any style.
  • Document Delivery (traditionally known as Inter-Library Loans) will locate books and articles that are not available in the library's own holdings. Materials that would previously have been photocopied (e.g. journal articles) are now delivered to the user as a downloadable PDF document.
  • The Reserve Desk allows you to make course-related materials available for short-term loan by students.
  • The library subscribes to an extensive collection of E-Journals. In order to access E-Journal articles, you must either (1) be on a Memorial computer or (2) log in as an off-campus user.

Non-academic questions


My office is cold. How can I get the heating fixed?
Contact the Facilities Management Work Control Centre by phoning 864-7600 or emailing

I need an extra key for my office. Is it possible to get one? If so, how?
Key requests are handled by Cathy Madol in the Faculty of Education's office of Finance and Administration, located in room ED-2012.

The lighting in my office is terrible. Who can fix it?
To request lighting reparis, contact the Facilities Management Work Control Centre by phoning 737-7600 or emailing

How do I get a parking permit?
Parking permits are sold annually in April for the parking year May 1 - April 30. Permits are sold by Campus Enforcement and Patrol (room FM-1018, phone 737-8561). For more information, see

During what hours is the Education building open?
The standard building hours are 7:00am to 11:00pm Monday to Friday and 7:00am to 6:00pm on Saturday. Outside of these hours, all exterior doors are locked. Buildings are normally closed on Sunday, but will be opened if requested by a department (e.g. for a planned event).

How do I book a room?
If you require a seminar room, please see Tamara Lynch in Room E2007 (Ext. 3404). For classrooms for undergraduate courses, please see Bev Earle in Room E2020 (Ext. 3315), and for graduate courses, please see Darlene Flight in Room E2007B (Ext. 3324).

How do I find the phone number or email address of someone who works at Memorial?
For faculty and staff in the Faculty of Education, you can consult our internal directory. For other employees, you can search the online MUN directory.

Supplies and copying

I would like stationary supplies for my office. Where do I go to get them?
See the receptionist in the Office of the Dean of Education, room ED-2007.

Where can I get photocopying done?
Bulk photocopying (e.g. of tests) can be done by the Administrative Services General Office, room ED-1008.


On what holidays does the university close?
The holiday schedules for administrative and academic staff members are available here. On administrative staff holidays, classes still go ahead as normal.

Where can I find the dates that classes begin and end?
The University Diary provides a list of important dates, such as the first and last days of classes, the beginning and ending of registration, the deadlines for dropping courses, and the timing of midterm break and other class holidays. Note that examinations and assignments are generally not permitted during the last two weeks of classes. (Read more about this policy.)

Where can I find exam schedules?
The Office of the Registrar posts the exam schedule online early in the semester.

Technical and web support

My computer is not working properly. Who can fix it for me?
For computer support, contact the Computing and Communications Support Centre by calling 4595 or emailing

How can I get my own webpage?
For each faculty member, there is a brief biographical page linked from the list of faculty members. If you would like to set up a full-fledged website, there are two options:

  • You can create a personal page on the university's main server. The URL of the page will be To build or edit this type of page, you will upload your content (e.g. html files) directly to the server. Click here for more information.
  • Alternatively, you can create a personal page on the Education website. The URL of the page will be To build or edit this type of page, you will use the SiteBuilder system, which provides an easy-to-use graphical interface. However, such pages are locked into the Memorial design template and customization is extremely limited. For more information, contact Matthew Ryder at 864-8360 or by email

I'd like to add my picture to my profile on the Faculty's website - who do I see about that?
Matthew Ryder.

I need some help with video editing software (or other software) - is there assistance available?
For assistance with various types of multimedia software, you can book an appointment at the Digital Media Centre, located in the QEII Library.

How can I purchase computer equipment?
If you are purchasing computer equipment using university funds, you are obligated to use the Computer Purchasing Centre. The CPC operates an on-campus store in the Computing Services Building (located between the Science Building and the Inco Innovation Centre), room CS1000.

Employment (payroll, promotion, and tenure)

Where can I find the details of my payroll and pension information?
Through the Employee Services tab in the MUN portal (, you can view your payroll records, benefits and pension statements, and other employment-related information. If you have a more detailed inquiry, you can ask the appropriate departmental contact person at Human Resources (scroll down to "Education" in the list).

Is the collective agreement available online?
The collective agreements for all employees of Memorial are available here.


What recreational opportunities are available on campus?
Memorial's recreational facilities, branded as "The Works", include two swimming pools, a 200 metre indoor track, aerobic classes, the Strength and Conditioning Centre, and courts for basketball, volleyball, badminton, tennis, and squash. For walking or running, Long Pond is circled by a well-maintained walkway (approximately 3km) which is part of the Grand Concourse system.

Do faculty get special rates for the fitness centres at MUN?
Yes. Under the Preferred Rate Program, Memorial will pay for up to 50% of the cost of your membership at The Works, to a maximum of $10 per pay period. Your membership fees can be paid by payroll deduction. For the options and rates available to faculty and staff, click here.

What other health and wellness programs are available?
Memorial's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides information on a variety of wellness topics, as well as a confidential 24-hour toll-free telephone counselling service.

Can I get a flu shot on campus?
Yes, the University holds an annual flu shot clinic in November. The cost of the flu shot is subsidised.

Does the university have a scent-free policy?
Memorial encourages students, faculty, and staff to reduce their use of scented products through the "Your scent is the best scent" campaign.

I'm interested in issues of diversity and respect in the workplace. What information does the university provide?
Memorial is committed to maintaining a welcoming and favourable work environment for all invididuals. The university's Employment Equity Office promotes equity in the workplace and provides information about various related issues.


Where can I get something to eat in the Education Building?
In the Education Building, there is a Ritazza café on the first floor (room ED-1018). The cafe sells sandwiches, salads, fruit, pizza, baked goods and coffee. It is open from 8:15am to 3:45pm Monday to Friday, as well as 6:00pm - 8:45pm Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. There are also vending machines located on the first floor (next to ED-1028) and the second floor (inside the main entrance).

What other cafeterias are located on campus?
Small cafés are also located in the Science Building and the Arts Building, as well as a large cafeteria in the Engineering Building. You can also eat at the Main Dining Hall, which is located in the Paton College residence area and charges a flat fee for an all-you-can-eat buffet. The above locations are all catered by Chartwells. Information about menus and locations can be found on their website:

What fast food restaurants are located on campus?
The food court in the University Centre contains several fast-food outlets: Just Fries, Extreme Pita, Treats, Mr. Sub, Booster Juice, Dairy Queen, and Mrs. Vanelli's. There is also a Tim Horton's located in the Aquarena, across Westerland Road from the Education Building.

What sit-down restaurants are located on campus?

  • The Graduate Students' Union operates Bitters Restaurant and Pub, which is open from 11:00am to 1:00am Monday-Friday and 11:30am to midnight on Saturday.
  • The Pantry, operated by the Autism Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, offers a different menu of sandwiches, salads, soups, quiches, and desserts every day. The restaurant is located off Clinch Crescent, across from the Janeway portion of the Health Science Centre. It is approximately a 5-minute walk from the Education Building. Reservations are recommended (phone 722-8200).
  • A variety of other restaurants can be found at Churchill Square, approximately a 15-minute walk from the Education Building. Also a short walk away is the Guv'nor Pub and Eatery, at 389 Elizabeth Avenue (just past the intersection with Anderson Avenue).

Where can I send further questions?

Questions can be sent to Dr. Elizabeth Murphy at: