Through individualized personal counselling, outpatient psychiatric services and a wide range of group counselling, professional staff and faculty at the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre, with the assistance of supervised doctoral residents and practicum students from the various training programs on campus, help students to develop their own unique resources.
The Counselling Centre helps students develop their study strategies through academic support programming. The Centre offers support for study problems in which students learn to apply strategies for managing university level academic work more effectively.
The Counselling Centre is open Monday-Friday, 9AM to 5PM.
Appointments can be made in person or by telephone, 864-8874. Appointments can not be made via email.
Walk-In Hours are as follows:
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm (no Walk-In service available Friday mornings)
Monday - Friday: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- A counsellor is available Monday-Friday for currently registered students who feel they need to be seen immediately;
- Students are seen on a first come, first served basis.
- Students in residence, and in crisis after hours, may talk to their Residence RA or Proctor. Students not in residence, and in crisis after hours, may go to a local emergency room for assistance.
Students with urgent mental health concerns may access community-based mental health services when the University Counselling Centre is closed.
The following services are available in St. John’s:
- 24-hour mental health crisis line: 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
- Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
- Psychiatric Assessment Unit: 777-3021 or 777-3022 24 hour Walk-in Crisis Service at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Rd.
- Health Sciences Emergency Department on Columbus Drive in St. John’s 777-6335.
University Counselling Centre
5th Floor University Centre, UC-5000
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7
Peter Cornish, PhD
Associate Professor and Director
Tel: (709) 864-8874
Fax: (709) 864-3011