Professional Development - Engineering
To prepare students for their first work term, the Engineering Co-operative Education office delivers a mandatory series of professional development seminars throughout the preceding semester.
Students get the chance to develop skills and techniques that they can use throughout the duration of their co-op experience. Various assignments throughout the seminars also provide the opportunity to practice what you have learned and gather feedback. Some of the sessions are hosted by guest lecturers from within industry.
Below is a list of some of the topics you will be exposed to:
- Résumés and cover letters; job competition process;
- Workplace skills; strategies for success on the job; workplace expectations; performance evaluations
- Interviewing skills and techniques
- What to do if you get a job; finding your own co-op job; international opportunities
- Work term communications requirements; workplace and professional ethics
- Workplace conduct issues; sexual harassment
For more information about the professional development seminars, please contact the Engineering Co-operative Education Office or the Engineering Student Co-op Handbook.