First Year Experience Survey (FYE)
The focus of the First Year Experience Survey is the first year cohort entering each Fall semester. These students:
- are categorized on the Banner system as new matriculants for the Fall semester in question (e.g., 2008 high school graduates attending university for the first time in Fall 2008);
- they are registered for at least one course at the St. John’s campus or Grenfell campus in the Fall semester;
- they had completed the Fall semester (i.e., did not register and then withdraw).
The survey is conducted during the last half of the following Winter semester. From 2001 to 2007 this survey was conducted yearly by telephone. In 2009, an online administration was adopted through Memorial's own survey tool. All subsequent administrations have been conducted jointly with Student Affairs and Services through Student Voice. The FYE is not done in the same year as NSSE.
The content of the questionnaire covers the following areas:
- reasons for attending Memorial,
- choice of program,
- transition and adjustment to Memorial,
- integration into the university,
- preparedness for university,
- use of resources and services,
- employment and living arrangements, and
- sources of finance.
Summary reports of recent editions of the FYE can be found below:
- Summary of 2013 survey [2013 online questionnaire]
- Summary of 2012 survey [2012 online questionnaire]
- Report of the 2009 survey [2009 online questionnaire]
- Report of the 2007 survey
- Report of the 2006 survey
- Report of the 2005 survey