Service Name: Research Data Backup
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides data backup and retrieval services to the research community of Memorial University.
- On-campus access to a central file share.
- Online retrieval of data backups.
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax, online, and in person:
ITS Service Desk
Who can avail of this service:
- This service is available to Research Faculty, Postdoctoral and Graduate students of Memorial University.
Out of Scope:
- The service is not available to undergraduate students, or to data-sets which are not part of a research project or graduate work.
- This service is available 24 hours daily except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications are found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- Technical support is available through the ITS Service Desk.
- Account requests take five business days to complete.
Processes and Tools:
- This service is requested by the end user via the ITS Service Desk using the methods outlined in “How to request this service” above.
- An account which contains a home directory for online file storage is generated.
- The end users can access their central file share through the following methods:
- Windows - ITS recommends that users should download and install the Research Data Backup (RDB) Client software.
- A Research Data Backup (RDB) Client is in development for Macintosh and Linux. In the interim see the FAQs page for instructions re: mounting your RDB home directory.
- Online access to data backups is available via the RDB Labnet Webtools User Interface.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services.
- The ITS Operations Division is responsible for a broad range of system administration duties including: supporting the backup environment, monitoring resources and automating procedures, troubleshooting system failures and end user errors; installing and administering software packages; system reporting; and providing documentation and technical assistance on a university wide basis.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Amount of data being supported.
Revision: March 12, 2015
Service Owner: Manager, Technical Support Group