Service Name: Research Data Backup
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provides data backup and retrieval services to the research community of Memorial University.
- On-campus access to a central file share.
- Online retrieval of data backups.
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax, online, and in person:
- Service requests can be submitted by completing an online form. Please see additional information on the Research Data Backup service, including an overview of Frequently Asked Questions.
Who can avail of this service:
- This service is available to Research Faculty, Postdoctoral and Graduate students of Memorial University.
Out of Scope:
- The service is not available to undergraduate students, or to data-sets which are not part of a research project or graduate work.
- This service is available 24 hours daily except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications are found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- Technical support is available through the C&C Service Desk.
- Account requests take five business days to complete.
Processes and Tools:
- This service is requested by the end user via the C&C Service Desk using the methods outlined in “How to request this service” above.
- An account which contains a home directory for online file storage is generated.
- The end users can access their central file share through the following methods:
- Windows - C&C recommends that users should download and install the Research Data Backup (RDB) Client software.
- A Research Data Backup (RDB) Client is in development for Macintosh and Linux. In the interim see the FAQs page for instructions re: mounting your RDB home directory.
- Online access to data backups is available via the RDB Labnet Webtools User Interface.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services.
- C&C’s Operations Division is responsible for a broad range of system administration duties including: supporting the backup environment, monitoring resources and automating procedures, troubleshooting system failures and end user errors; installing and administering software packages; system reporting; and providing documentation and technical assistance on a university wide basis.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Amount of data being supported.
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Technical Support Group