Service Name: Tablet Devices – Apple iPad
Support services for tablet devices such as the Apple iPad are provided by Information Technology Services (ITS) Personal Computing Group (PCG) and the ITS Service Desk. Various services are offered including software installation, software troubleshooting, and application support. Services are provided for all vendor-supported versions of the iPad.
- Software is installed following the policies and procedures of Memorial University and ITS.
- Due to the way in which Apple provides its applications through the App Store, clients are responsible for their own app purchases. Clients authorized to use university issued procurement cards should speak to their departments about App Store purchases using procurement cards.
- Configuration of a Memorial Exchange email account on a personally owned iPad must be accompanied by a signed agreement form granting ITS permission to apply and enforce security features on the device.
- The installation of Virtual Private Network (VPN) software on an iPad requires submission of the VPN Application and Renewal Form. Please note - VPN software can only be installed on university owned iPads.
- Software installation and support services will generally apply to ITS services that can be extended to the iPad. Clients are encouraged to contact the ITS Service Desk with suggestions regarding apps they would like to use for university business purposes.
- The following are some apps that ITS recommends for business use:
- Filebrowser (for Voyager fileshare access)
- Pages (MS Word equivalent)
- Numbers (MS Excel equivalent)
- Keynotes (MS PowerPoint equivalent)
- iSSH - remote access client (allows for a remote desktop connection)
- Memorial VPN software (available from ITS)
Hardware and Software Problem Resolution:
- PCG and the Service Desk will make best effort to determine the cause of software issues affecting the device.
- ITS will not be responsible for repairing hardware related problems. Clients with hardware issues should take the device to an approved Apple Service Provider.
- PCG and the Service Desk will support ITS software and services available for use on iPad devices. Due to the sheer number of applications available for the iPad, PCG and the Service Desk can only provide best effort guidance on the usage of other installed software for university business purposes.
Wireless Network Support:
- PCG and the Service Desk will provide support for issues related to wireless connectivity on both personally owned and university owned iPad devices.
How to request this service:
By email, phone or in person at:
ITS Service Desk, HH-2012
- Service requests may also be submitted via completing an on-line form
PCG Desk Appointments: CS1006
- Clients are requested to contact the Service Desk at 864-4595 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with PCG.
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff, students and retirees.
- University owned and personally owned iPad devices used for university-related business. (Please note that some services may not be available for personally owned devices and where applicable, implementation of certain security features may apply).
Out of Scope:
- Hardware issues
- ITS Services not designed to work on tablet devices
- Applications not related to university business
- ITS Service Desk: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding university holidays.
- Summer hours are 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Clients are required to contact the Service Desk at 864-4595 or email@example.com to make a PCG Desk appointment or to request a PCG office visit.
- ITS Service Desk walk-in counter service – same day within 30 minutes.
- PCG Desk (by appointment only) – same day within 30 minutes
- Requests submitted to the ITS Service Desk and assigned to PCG for an office visit are given priority ranking based on the impact (e.g. number of people affected) and severity (the nature) of the incident. Typical response time is 3-4 business days.
Processes and Tools:
- Log, monitor, and resolve incidents using the Remedy Incident Management system.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Service Desk IT Consultants and PCG’s PC Consultants are responsible for following the defined procedure, and researching and recommending solutions.
- Service Desk Supervisor and PCG Manager ensure procedures are up-to-date and adequate staff are scheduled to deal with incoming client requests.
- Personal Computing Group Manager manages PC Support Group activities and priorities.
- Service Desk Supervisor manages Service Desk activities and priorities.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Volume of incidents
- Incident resolution times
- Client survey results
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Supervisor, ITS Service Desk