International Compost Awareness Week
May 7 - 13, 2017
MUN Botanical Garden is proud to partner with the Compost Council of Canada during Compost Awareness Week
to help promote composting in our communities.
Come to MUN Botanical Garden May 7 - 13 and celebrate composting! Activities will include free lunch-time gardening presentations, compost displays and demonstrations, family activities, and lots of composting information.
Three Cheers for Composting Family Program
Bring the family along for a special family day program on Sunday, May 7, 10:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. and celebrate composting. In addition to exhibits and information, the following will take place throughout the day: nature hikes, compost crafts & games, story time, duck feeding, and of course, compost cake!
Sunday, May 7, 2017
This special fundraining presentation in partnership with the Compost Council of Canada will have the national kick-off here in St. John's, Newfoundland. Owen Reeve's, of CTV's Marilyn Denis Show, will be giving a talk Celebrating Gardening in Canada.
Lunchtime Gardening Presentations
Drop by the Garden during your lunch hour and attend a free gardening presentation. Registration is not required for these programs. All workshops take place from 12 - 1 pm, at the Botanical Garden.
- Monday, May 8: The ABC's of Composting - Instructor: Christine Gillard, Environmental Educator
- Tuesday, May 9: Choice Vegetables for a Newfoundland Garden - Instructor: Carl White, Head Gardener
- Wednesday, May 10: Vermicomposting (Worm Composting) - Instructor: Christine Gillard, Environmental Educator
- Thursday, May 11: Gardening Q & A - Instructor: Tim Walsh, Nursery Manager
- Friday, May 12: Get Your Garden Ready for Spring - Instructor: Carl White, Head Gardener
Compost Demonstration Garden
Visit our compost demonstration garden, located between the Agnes Ayre gazebo and the wildlife friendly garden.
Take a close look at our indoor worm bin (vermicomposter).
For more information on composting in Newfoundland, please visit Compost Section of this website.
For more information on these events and programs please contact:
Christine Gillard, Environmental Educator
MUN Botanical Garden
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7
Telephone: (709) 864-8590
Fax: (709) 864-8596