Backyard Compost Program
City of St. John’s Backyard Compost Program
The City of St. John’s, in partnership with the MMSB and MUN Botanical Garden, are offering free backyard composting information sessions to residents of St. John’s. This year, the City of St. John's is offering two different bin types. You can purchase a standard compost bin for the low price of $40.00 (HST included). Alternatively you can purchase a tumbler compost bin for $55.00 (HST included). The tumbler bin is free standing and doesn't touch the ground.
**The tumbler is sold out for 2016 - but the City of St. John's is hoping to order more in in the Spring of 2017.
You can attend a free backyard composting information session without registering.
IF YOU ARE PURCHASING A BIN FROM THE CITY OF ST. JOHN'S AFTER THE SESSION, PLEASE NOTE: CASH ONLY PLEASE. Receipts will be provided.
All session to be held at MUN Botanical Garden, 306 Mount Scio Road, St. John's, unless otherwise noted.
Fee: Workshops are free; St. John’s residents, who have attended the one-hour session, can purchase bins from the City of St. John’s.
Instructors: MUNBG Education Staff Anne Madden and Christine Gillard
- Wednesday, April 19, noon; Location – MUNBG
- Saturday, May 6, 2 pm; Location -MUNBG
- Sunday, May 7, 1 pm; Location -MUNBG
- Monday, May 8, noon; Location –MUNBG
- Monday, May 22, 10:30 am; Location –MUNBG
- Saturday, May 27, 2 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Wednesday, June 7, 12:30 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Sunday, June 11, 1 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Friday, June 16, 11 am; Location -MUNBG
- Saturday, June 24, 2 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Saturday, July 8, noon; Location -MUNBG
- Tuesday, July 18, 6 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Saturday, September 2, noon; Location –MUNBG
- Sunday, September 10, 1 pm; Location –MUNBG
- Monday, September 25, 10 am; Location -MUNBG
- Saturday, October 7, 2 pm; Location -MUNBG
- Sunday, October 22, 1 pm; Location -MUNBG
- Saturday, November 25, 2 pm; Location –MUNBG
For more information, please contact The Waste and Recycling Division of the City of St. John’s.