Students supervised by H. Volkoff are indicated by * (undergraduate), ** (graduate) and *** (postoc)
- Volkoff, H. (2015) Cloning, tissue distribution and effects of fasting on mRNA expression levels of leptin and ghrelin in red-bellied piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 217–218: 20–27.
- Volkoff, H. (2015) Cloning and tissue distribution of appetite-regulating peptides in pirapitinga (Piaractus brachypomus). J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. In press.
- Kim J.H., Leggatt R.A., Chan M., Volkoff H., Devlin R.H. (2015) Effects of chronic growth hormone overexpression on appetite-regulating brain gene expression in coho salmon. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 413:178-188.
- Camarillo-Sepulveda, N.; Hamoutene, D.; Lush, L.; Burt, K.; Volkoff, H.; Fleming, I.A., 2015: Sperm traits in farmed and wild Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. J Fish Biol, in press
- Volkoff, H. (2014) In vitro assessment of interactions between appetite-regulating peptides in brain of goldfish (Carassius auratus). Peptides, 61: 61-68.
- Tuziak, S.M.**, Rise, M.L. and H. Volkoff (2014) An investigation of appetite-related peptide transcript expression in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) brain following a Camelina sativa meal-supplemented feeding trial. Gene, 550: 253-263.
- Volkoff. H. (2014) Appetite regulating peptides in red-bellied piranha, Pygocentrus nattereri: cloning, tissue distribution and effect of fasting on mRNA expression levels. Peptides, 56:116-124.
- Hayes, J. ** and H. Volkoff (2014) Characterization of the endocrine, digestive and morphological adjustments of the intestine in response to food deprivation and torpor in cunner, Tautogolabrus adspersus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A., 170:49-59.
- Penney*, C.C. and H. Volkoff (2014) Peripheral injections of cholecystokinin, apelin, ghrelin and orexin in cavefish (Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus): effects on feeding and on the brain expression levels of tyrosine hydroxylase, mechanistic target of rapamycin and appetite-related hormones. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 196:34-40.
- Tuziak**, S.M. and H. Volkoff (2013) Melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) and gonadotropin-releasing hormones (GnRH) in Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua: Tissue distributions, early ontogeny and effects of fasting. Peptides, 50:109-118.
- Babichuk**, N. and H. Volkoff (2013). Changes in expression of appetite-regulating hormones in the cunner (Tautogolabrus adspersus) during short-term fasting and winter torpor. Physiol. Behav. 120:54–63.
- Wall*, A. and H. Volkoff (2013). Effects of fasting and feeding on the brain mRNA expressions of orexin, tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), PYY and CCK in the Mexican blind cavefish (Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 183: 44-52.
- Tuziak**, S.M. and H. Volkoff (2013) Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone in winter flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus): Molecular characterization, distribution and effects of fasting. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 184:9-21
- Volkoff, H. (2013) The effects of amphetamine injections on feeding behavior and the brain expression of orexin, CART, tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) in goldfish (Carassius auratus). Fish Physiol. Biochem. 39:979-991.
- Hoskins **, LJ and Volkoff, H. (2012) Daily patterns of mRNA expression of two core circadian regulatory proteins, Clock2 and Per1, and two appetite-regulating peptides, OX and NPY, in goldfish (Carassius auratus, Linnaeus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 163(1):127-36.
- Hoskins**, L.J and H. Volkoff (2012) The comparative endocrinology of fish: insights and challenges. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 176(3):327-35.
- Tuziak**, S.M. and H. Volkoff (2012) A preliminary investigation of the role of melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) and its receptors in appetite regulation of winter flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus). Mol. Cell. Endocrinol., 348:281-296
- Trudeau VL, Martyniuk CJ, Zhao E, Hu H, Volkoff H, Decatur WA and Basak A. (2012) Is secretoneurin a new hormone? Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 175(1):10-18.
- K. Burt, D. Hamoutene, J. Perez-Casanova, A.K. Gamperl and H. Volkoff (2012) The effect of intermittent hypoxia on growth, appetite and some aspects of the immune response of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture Res, 2012, 1–14.
- Abbott*, M. and Volkoff, H. (2011) Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone (TRH) in goldfish (Carassius auratus): role in the regulation of feeding and locomotor behaviors and interactions with the orexin system and cocaine- and amphetamine regulated transcript (CART), Horm. Behav., 59(2):236-45
- MacDonald**, E.E. and Volkoff, H. (2010) Molecular cloning and characterization of preproorexin in winter skate (Leucorja ocellata). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 169(3):192-6.
- Buckley*, C., MacDonald**, E.E., Tuziak**, S.M. and Volkoff H. (2010) Molecular cloning and characterization of two putative appetite regulators in winter flounder (Pleuronectes americanus): Preprothyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) and preproorexin (OX). Peptides, 31(9):1737-1747.
- Volkoff, H., Hoskins**, L.J. and Tuziak**, S.M. (2010) Influence of intrinsic signals and environmental cues on the endocrine control of feeding in fish: potential application in aquaculture, Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 167: 352-359.
- Volkoff, H. and Wyatt*, J.L. (2009) Apelin in goldfish (Carassius auratus): cloning, distribution and role in appetite regulation. Peptides, 30:1434-1440.
- MacDonald**, E. and Volkoff, H. (2009) Cloning, distribution and effects of season and nutritional status on the expression of neuropeptide Y (NPY), cocaine and amphetamine regulated transcript (CART) and cholecystokinin (CCK) in winter flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus). Horm. Behav., 56(1):58-65
- MacDonald**, E. and Volkoff, H. (2009) Neuropeptide Y (NPY), cocaine and amphetamine regulated transcript (CART) and cholecystokinin (CCK) in winter skate (Raja ocellata): cDNA cloning, tissue distribution and mRNA expression responses to fasting. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 161:252-261.
- Martínez-Álvarez***, R.M., Volkoff H., Muñoz-Cueto J.A. and Delgado M.J. (2009) Effect of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), adrenomedullin and adrenomedullin-2/intermedin on food intake in goldfish (Carassius auratus). Peptides, 30(4):803-7.
- Xu**, M. and Volkoff, H. (2009) Cloning, tissue distribution and effects of food deprivation on pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide (PACAP)/ PACAP-related peptide (PRP) and preprosomatostatin 1 (PPSS 1) in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Peptides, 30(4):766-76.
- Volkoff, H. (2015) Feeding behavior, starvation response and endocrine regulation of feeding in Mexican blind cavefish (Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus). In: The Biology and Evolution of the Mexican Cavefish, Keene, A., Yoshizawa, M. and McGaugh, S. (Eds.), Elsevier. Chapter 15.
- Volkoff, H. (2012) Orexins in non-mammalian vertebrates. In: Vitamins and Hormones, volume 89: Sleep Hormones, Gerard Litvak (Ed.), Elsevier, Chapter 17.
- Bar, N. and H. Volkoff (2012). Adaptation of the Physiological, Endocrine, and Digestive System Functions to Prolonged Food Deprivation in Fish. In: Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation. M. D. McCue (Ed.), Springer, Chapter 6, pp. 69-90.
- Volkoff, H. (2011) Control of appetite. In: The Encyclopedia of Fish Physiology: From genome to environment, Farrell A.P., J.J. Cech, J.G. Richards, and E.D. Stevens (Eds), Elsevier, Chapter 273.
- Hamoutene, D., Volkoff, H., Parrish, C., Samuelson, S., Mabrouk, G., Mansour, A., Mathieu, A., King, T., and Lee, K., 2011. Effect of produced water on innate immunity, feeding and antioxidant metabolism in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). In: Produced Water: Environmental Risks and Advances in Mitigation Technologies (Lee, Kenneth; Neff, Jerry, Eds.). Springer, Chapter 16.
- Elsie Tachie Mensa, Helene Volkoff and Suraj Unniappan (2010). Galanin Systems in Non-mammalian Vertebrates with Special Focus on Fishes, In: Galanin, Edited by Tomas Hökfelt, Experientia Supplementum Volume 102, pp 243-262.
- Volkoff, H., Unniappan, S. and Kelly, S.P. (2009) The endocrine regulation of food intake. In: Fish Neuroendocrinology, chapter 9, Edited by NJ Bernier, G Van Der Kraak, AP Farrell and CJ Brauner, Fish physiology, vol. 28, Pages 421-465.