Welcome from CASD
Director, Center for Aquaculture and Seafood Development (CASD)
Welcome to the Centre for Aquaculture and Seafood Development. CASD is committed to promoting sustainable aquaculture and fisheries by providing fish, shellfish and aquatic health services, combined with state of the art facilities for proactive research and product development in the area of aquatic animal health.
CASD is internationally recognized for its applied scientific and technical expertise, facilities and commitment to clients. We offer clients one of the largest and most comprehensive aquaculture and fisheries training and applied research facilities in Atlantic Canada. Our quarantine facility allows users to carry out research requiring biological containment, ensured through the application of strict operating protocols.
Our services include: a complete range of fish and shellfish health services such as histopathoglogy, pathogen screening, and diet development; biotechnology research; product development and testing; innovative species research and development; and fish and shellfish health assessments including pathogen surveys and disease challenge studies.
Recent aquatic health research activities at CASD have included:
- Efficacy of immunostimulants added to dry pellet feed for cultured trout and cod.
- Development of new assays to measure lysosyme activity (immune response) in skin mucous.
- Evaluation of new aquaculture sites (salmon and mussels) in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL).
- Epidemiology and pathology of parasites infecting cultured broodstock and juvenile cod.
- Baseline surveys (3-yrs) of parasites and pathogens in mussels from NL.
- Development of quality assurance standards for the NL mussel industry.
- Modeling of marine bio-fouling organisms.
- Biotechnology research on carotenoid proteins from crustacean processing.