The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) at Memorial University provides counselling, health, and wellness support for students including primary health care, counselling, health promotion, disease prevention, and wellness education.
The SWCC is located on the 5th floor of the University Centre (UC-5000), and is open from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Please note that the SWCC is not equipped to deal with major emergencies, such as heart attacks, strokes, broken limbs, active suicidal thoughts or any other life threatening injuries. Should an emergency arise while on campus, you should call 911. For off-campus emergencies, you can also dial 911, or if you are able, proceed directly to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Should you need to see a physician, walk-in clinic MAY be available at the Blackmarsh Road Family Care Centre, located in the Blackmarsh Road Dominion Supermarket. Call (709) 576-6555.
Students with urgent mental health concerns should avail of the following community based services:
- 24-hour mental health crisis line: (709) 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
- Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
- Psychiatric Assessment Unit: (709) 777-3021 or (709) 777-3022.
- 24 hour Walk-in Crisis Service at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Rd.
- Health Sciences Emergency Department on Columbus Drive in St. John’s: (709) 777-6335.
Appointments at the SWCC can be made via:
- Telephone: (709) 864-8500
- In person: UC-5000
- HealthMyself - Patient Portal: Physician or Nursing Appointments
Notice: Effective immediately, cancellations can ONLY be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or via HealthMyself - Patient Portal.
A $30 charge will be posted to your student account if you fail to cancel or reschedule at least 8 hours before your scheduled appointment or if you are late to your appointment.