FAQs for Employers Interested in Hiring International Students or Graduates

Are you an employer interested in hiring a MUN international student or MUN international graduate? Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions.

What documents can confirm students' eligibility to work in Canada?
  • Study permit and its conditions
  • Social Insurance Number

For how many hours may students work off-campus?

Undergraduate students

  • Part-time work: up to 20 hrs/week during academic sessions.
  • Full-time work: up to 40 hrs/week during scheduled breaks (e.g. summer or winter break.
  • Students who have maintained full-time status for the duration of their program of study, and who only require a part-time course load in their final academic session in order to complete their program of study, may work off-campus up to 20 hrs/week during their final academic session.

Graduate students

  • Can work off-campus only up to 20 hrs/week.

Are graduates eligible to work while they are waiting to receive their post-graduation work permit?

Per paragraph R186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:

  • They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
  • They have completed their program of study.
  • They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 6 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
  • They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).

If full-time undergraduate students are taking courses during the summer (regularly scheduled break), can they still work full-time?

Students who are enrolled full-time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break, and who decided to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break, are eligible to work off-campus on a full-time basis.

If students have just finished a program, are off for the summer, and are starting another program at the same or at a different educational institution in the fall, can they work full-time during the summer?

Yes, if the students:

  • Were full-time students before they finished the program, and will remain full-time students when they start the new program.
  • Both educational institutions are DLI institutions (designated learning institutions).
  • They have a valid study permit, or they submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay, or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired.
  • The break between the two programs is no longer than 150 days.

[Confirmed by RCIC (R517405)]