Location Campus Clinic, Smallwood Centre, 4th Floor.

Hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (4:30 p.m. in summer) BY APPOINTMENT, except for emergencies.

The staff at Student Health Service are available to provide comprehensive health care and to assist students in taking responsibility for their own health. Primary functions of the Service are the diagnosis and treatment of illness, the activation and maintenance of wellness and the promotion of health education programs.

Medical Services

Services provided include:

- diagnosis and treatment of: physical illness, emotional problems, sexually transmitted diseases, injuries;
- individual counselling on various aspects of health and wellness: smoking, fitness, weight control, nutrition, alcohol and drug abuse;
- referral to: specialists, physiotherapists, hospital diagnostic services, other health care agencies;
- reproductive health: pap smears, contraception, pregnancy - testing, referral services;
- Injury rehabilitation programs;
- AIDS (HIV antibody) testing: confidential blood tests, pre-test counselling, post-test counselling;
- "Medicals" (non-insured service): pre-employment, pre-admission to professional schools, SCUBA diving, driver's license, TB skin test;
- Educational materials on health issues
- MCP information and application forms

Medical records

All students' medical records are strictly confidential. No information is released without the request and written consent of the student.

New students

Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their medical records to the Student Health Centre. This is especially important for students who:

- have chronic or recurrent illness, e.g. asthma, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, seizure disorders;
- require refills of prescription drugs;
- have a physical disability, e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, visual or hearing impairment; or
- have a history of mental illness.


The University will bill the appropriate paying agency for the eligible medical services received at the Student Health Service.

Newfoundland and Labrador students

MCP cards are required.

Students from other Canadian provinces

Students from other Canadian provinces are required to bring their provincial medicare cards.

International students

International students are required at registration to enrol in a university medical insurance plan. The premium for the academic year is due at the time of registration. A personal medical insurance certificate will be issued by the Office of the International Student Advisor and must be presented by the student each time medical or hospital services are required. The student must also sign a claim form for each medical or hospital service rendered.


"Medicals" (pre-employment, SCUBA, driver's licence, life insurance, etc.) are NOT covered by insurance plans and must be paid for by the student.

Last modified on June 4, 2003 by R. Bruce

Up to Calendar Table of Contents

Back to Office of the Registrar's Home Page