1) Applications for admission to the above Conjoint Degree Program are considered once a year for admission to the Fall semester only. The deadline for submission of applications is February 15.
2) Applications for admission to the above-noted program refer to the Education component of the Conjoint Degree Program. At the time of application, students must have been formally admitted to the School of Music.
3) To be considered for admission, students must have successfully completed a minimum of 45 credit hours with either a cumulative average of at least 65% or an average of at least 65% on their last 30 credit hours which they have successfully completed. Applicants must be in good standing with the School of Music.
Within the 45 credit hours, students must have completed the following:
a) at least 6 credit hours in English and/or research/writing;
b) at least 3 credit hours from the following: Music 3221, 3222, 3231, 3232, 3233, 3241, 3242, 3261, 3281, 3282;
c) at least 12 credit hours in Music, in addition to the 3 in 3 (b) above. Consideration will be given to the Winter semester courses for which students are registered at the time of application.
4) In assessing applications, consideration will be given to the following:
a) students' overall academic performance, in addition to the minimum
academic requirements outlined in Clause 3 above;
b) demonstrated competency in written English as prescribed by the Faculty of Education at the time of consideration for admission;
c) two letters of reference, one of which must be from a faculty member of the School of Music.
d) The establishment of a second teaching area is highly recommended upon admission.
5) In addition to Clause 4 a), b), c) and d) above, a personal interview and demonstration of proficiency in basic keyboard and aural skills are normally required. Sample materials will be made available from faculty members prior to the skills demonstration.
6) The Faculty reserves the right to deny admission to a candidate, who in the opinion of the Selections Committee, is deemed unsuitable for admission to a program.
7) In special circumstances, the Selections Committee may, at its discretion, consider an applicant or group of applicants as an exception to the minimum academic requirements outlined in Clause 3.
NOTE: Students who decline an offer of admission to the Faculty of Education, or who do not register for courses during the academic year in which admission is granted must, if they wish to be subsequently considered for admission, submit a new application in competition with other applicants.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Office of the Registrar's Home Page