Changes to the Honours Admission Process Due to Covid-19
This year there will be changes to the honours application process due to the various grading options that have been introduced in response to the COVID-19 situation. Changes are as follows:
1. We have an online application form for honours applications which must be submitted before June 1.
NOTE: Students who have already submitted a paper application must complete an online application—the paper applications we’ve received so far won’t be reviewed
2. Preference will be given to students who are starting their final year of the Psychology/BHNR major (third year or later university students) because these students will need to start their honours program this Fall in order to graduate on time. This means we may accept some applicants that are going into their final year who have slightly lower averages than other applicants. What averages are accepted will depend on this year’s pool of applicants.
3. We may reserve a portion of seats this year if some applicants choose to have deferred exams in the Psychology/Behavioural Neuroscience majors courses. Applicants who are deferring exams still must submit the application form by June 1, and they should indicate in the form’s Comments field the courses for which they’ve deferred an exam.
4. Students who are writing deferred exams in their Psychology/Behavioural Neuroscience majors courses must write the exam by mid-August or we will assume the final grade is a PAS for the purpose of honours admission.
5. Students will likely find out later than usual this year whether they’ve been admitted into the honours program; it will be before Fall registration begins.
As always, only Psychology and Behavioural Neuroscience majors courses and GPA will be used to calculate the honours admission average for both Psychology and Behavioural Neuroscience majors.
Many students have asked whether they should go with a PAS/FAL or a numerical grade—you should go with whichever option you think will increase your chance of admission.
If you have any questions please direct them to Cathy Hyde (firstname.lastname@example.org).