Procedure for Extending an Appointment for Foreign Workers
Foreign Workers employed at the University on a work or study permit are required to renew their work authorization documents if their appointment is extended beyond the expiry of their current work authorization. As such, Units wishing to extend an employee on a work or study permit should consult with the appropriate office to start the process of extension as early as possible to avoid unnecessary delays.
Steps for Unit
1) To extend the appointment of a Foreign Worker occupying an academic position, a completed “Recommendation for Academic Appointment” form should be forwarded to the office of Faculty Relations for processing. Upon receipt of the letter a representative from that office will contact the foreign national to provide information on applying for a Work Permit extension.
2) To extend the appointment of a Foreign Worker occupying a non-academic position the appropriate extension documentation should be forwarded to the Department of Human Resources. Documentation should include the extension date, funding source changes (if applicable) and appropriate authorization.
3) To extend the appointment of a Postdoctoral Fellow, the Unit shall prepare a letter of extension outlining the extension date, funding source changes (if applicable) and appropriate authorization. The letter is issued by the Unit Head, following a recommendation by the Department Head, where appropriate. A copy of the letter should be sent directly to payroll for processing, copying the supervisor, Department Head, and Office of Faculty Relations. Upon receipt of the letter a representative from the Office of Faculty Relations will contact the Postdoctoral Fellow to provide information on applying for a Work Permit extension.
4) Letters of extension for Foreign Workers will contain the following phrase:
This extension is subject to compliance with the immigration laws of Canada and is conditional on any approvals, authorizations and/or permits in respect of your employment that may be required under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and in the regulations made pursuant to that Act. Please note that it is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status in order to retain this position. If you have any questions please contact the Office of Faculty Relations at 864-4732.
5) Upon receiving a copy of the new work permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN) extension, the employing Unit will forward a copy of both documents to the Department of Human Resources and, in the case of an extension of an academic appointment, to the Office of Faculty Relations.
Steps for Foreign Worker
1) At his/her earliest opportunity the Foreign Worker must ensure that he/she renews the work permit for the duration of the appointment extension.
2) For information on extending a stay in Canada and to complete the appropriate application form to renew a temporary work permit the Foreign Worker must consult with the CIC website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp. The application for extension must be submitted prior to the expiry date of the current work permit.
3) The Foreign Worker will also be required to pay a processing fee prior to submitting the application.
4) Upon receipt of the new work permit, the Foreign Worker must forward a copy to the employing unit, who will then forward copies to the Department of Human Resources, and the Office of Faculty Relations.
5) Upon receipt of the new work permit, the Foreign Worker must also apply for renewal of their SIN card. For information on renewing a SIN card and to find the closest office, visit the Service Canada website at http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml.
6) In cases where a Foreign Worker is not eligible for participation in the University’s Group Health and Life Benefits, they are also responsible to renew their private medical insurance for the period of extension.