This downloaded copy is unofficial. Check for the official version.

Memorial University of Newfoundland

  Memorial University of Newfoundland

Student Employment

Approval Date: 2018-07-05

Effective Date: 2018-07-05

Review Date: 2022-07-05


Vice-President (Administration and Finance) through the Director of Human Resources


To provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to obtain employment and work experience at Memorial University.


All undergraduate and graduate students and those provisionally accepted into Memorial University for the next immediate academic semester. Students from other universities and colleges may be included.


Classified Rate — The established rate of pay for a position as determined using the job evaluation system.

Graduate Assistantships — A contractual agreement between the University and a student for a specified number of hours of teaching and/or research support delivered within a particular period of time, such as an academic semester or part of a semester. Hours of work cannot exceed the maximum number of hours permitted to maintain full-time status as a graduate student unless otherwise approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies. See Collective Agreement for the Teaching Assistants' Union.

Off-Semester Employment — Part-time or full-time employment where the individual was registered full-time in the previous academic semester and is currently not registered full-time or has been formally or provisionally accepted into Memorial for the immediate next semester.

On-Semester Employment — Employment on a part-time basis (i.e. maximum of nineteen hours per week or less) where the student is classified by the Office of the Registrar as having full-time status.

Student Assistant — A student employed by an academic or administrative unit. A Student Assistant performs activities to assist a unit in carrying out its mandate but are not to engage in activity normally completed by a full-time employee or that would qualify as bargaining unit work.

Work Term Student — A student employed during their work term semester through Memorial's Co-operative Education or another recognized post-secondary institution co-operative program.


Memorial University encourages and supports the employment of undergraduate and graduate students. The administration of student employment is a shared responsibility between the Department of Human Resources, the School of Graduate Studies, and Student Life. Each area is responsible for the following:

Department of Human Resources - Administration of undergraduate student employment, including On-Semester, Off-Semester and work terms/internships.

School of Graduate Studies - Providing guidance for Graduate Assistantship employment (including research assistantship and teaching assistantship).

Student Life - Administration of student employment programs, for example, Memorial's Undergraduate Career Experience Program (MUCEP), International Student Work Experience Program (ISWEP), and the Graduate Student Work Experience Program (GradSWEP).

The University supports the employment of full-time Memorial University students from operating or grant funding where the following guidelines have been established:

Hours of Work

Rates of Pay

Employment of International Students


To be employed as a graduate assistant, students must be registered full-time in a graduate program at Memorial. Employment of full-time graduate students is to be administered as per the appointment process set forward in Article 12 of the Collective Agreement for the Teaching Assistants' Union. Graduate Assistantship positions that are available after the assignment process has been completed OR positions available in non-academic department will be posted for a minimum of five (5) days on the School of Graduate Studies website.

Part-time graduate students can be hired in classified positions and are paid a Classified Rate in accordance with the existing job evaluation system. Units employing graduate students at a Classified Rate are required to submit a completed Request to Fill a Position Form, an Application for Non-Academic Employment and an Application for Direct Deposit to the Department of Human Resources.

Full-time graduate students can change their status to part-time in order to be eligible for full-time employment. Application to change status should be submitted to School of Graduate Studies.

Related Documents

Application for Direct Deposit
Application for Non-Academic Employment
Request to Fill a Position
Student Employment Rates
Undergraduate Student Employment Agreement
Undergraduate Student Employment Action Form 


For inquiries related to this policy:

Department of Human Resources 709-864-2434

Sponsor: Vice-President (Administration & Finance)

Category: People Resources

Previous Versions:

There is at least one previous version of this policy. Contact the Policy Office to view earlier version(s)

Approval Date 0000-00-00   Effective Date 2013-11-05
Approval Date 0000-00-00   Effective Date 0000-00-00

Procedure for Undergraduate Student Employment

Approval Date: 2018-07-05

Responsible Unit: Department of Human Resources

1. Students seeking undergraduate employment must complete an Undergraduate Student Employment Agreement Form. Units must confirm the eligibility of the student from the completed form. Completed forms can be maintained within the hiring unit.

2. Employing units are required to submit a completed Undergraduate Student Employment Action Form and an Application for Direct Deposit to

3. Students working a predetermined schedule or regular working hours are set up for regular payroll processing. For students working irregular hours, the employing units submit hours of work via Departmental Time Entry for payment.