This downloaded copy is unofficial. Check for the official version.

Memorial University of Newfoundland

  Memorial University of Newfoundland

Insurance Coverage - Property and Liability

Approval Date: 0000-00-00

Effective Date: 2017-06-01

Review Date: 2021-05-01


Vice-President (Administration and Finance)



To reduce the financial risk exposure through purchased insurance policies and to outline procedures related to certain insurance coverages.



Applicable university-wide for insurance related to property losses and public liability. The exact scope and any related exceptions for the various insurance coverages are outlined in the individual insurance policies. These may vary from insurance policy year to insurance policy year.

This policy does not cover insurance related to personal losses.

Personal possessions of students and University employees are NOT covered by University insurance policies. Exclusions are NOT acknowledged other than those written into the individual policies as negotiated by the insurance broker and the University.


Memorial University insures all property within its care, custody and control. The deductibles, per occurrence, have been set within each insurance policy. The coverage is intended to cover for catastrophic losses rather than minor losses which can be considered routine for an operation the size of Memorial.

Office of the Chief Risk Officer makes all arrangements for insurance, and corresponds with insurers and adjusters.

Insurance Coverage is obtained for a number of general exposure categories.

All insurance coverage is purchased on an annual basis.

The cost of the insurance policies is charged, where feasible and practical, against the operating budgets identified as benefiting from the coverage.

Replacement cost values have been estimated based upon square footage, building contents, and usage of each building.

Adjustments have been made to these values for known pieces of equipment that are valued in excess of the norm.

All property losses are funded by the department responsible for the property, up to ten (10) percent of its non-salary budget for the year, per occurrence, to a maximum of $10,000 per occurrence.

The University's Property Self-Insurance Trust Fund is used to fund the difference between the department's share of the loss and the deductible.  Depending upon the circumstances of the loss and frequency of claims activity, The Faculty Research and Education Trust Fund and/or the departmental funds may be requested to meet a portion of the loss. All decisions on funding of losses will be discussed with the Office of the Chief Risk Officer with final approval being provided by the Vice-President (Administration and Finance).


Related Documents

Enterprise Risk Management Policy
General Exposure Categories Currently Covered by Insurance 
Memorial University Insurance Guide



For inquiries related to this policy:

Risk & Insurance Services (709) 864-6216

Sponsor: Vice-President (Administration & Finance)

Category: Operations

Previous Versions:

There is at least one previous version of this policy. Contact the Policy Office to view earlier version(s)

Approval Date 0000-00-00   Effective Date 2015-03-10
Approval Date 0000-00-00   Effective Date 1990-05-01

Procedure for Insurance Claim - Property

Approval Date: 2014-07-25

Responsible Unit: Office of the Chief Risk Officer

If University assets or property become lost or damaged, contact the Office of the Chief Risk Officer (709-864-6216) as soon as possible. Only actions to remove any injured persons and to reduce damages are to be taken and replacement should not commence until approval is obtained. 

If items are misplaced, lost or stolen immediately report the incident to the Campus Enforcement and Patrol Office (709-864-8561).

The Office of the Chief Risk Officer notifies the insurance company issuing the policy of any claim and coordinates the claim process.


Procedure for Insurance Claim - Vehicles

Approval Date: 2014-07-05

Responsible Unit: Office of the Chief Risk Officer

Accidents involving University vehicles should be reported to the appropriate police authority according to the Highway Traffic Act. As well all accidents must be reported to the Office of the Chief Risk Officer, by completing the forms.

The Office of the Chief Risk Officer notifies the insurance company issuing the vehicle policy of any claim of possible loss due to an occurrence.


Procedure for Reporting Changing Conditions for Insurance

Approval Date: 2014-07-25

Responsible Unit: Office of the Chief Risk Officer

Any of the following may affect insurance policies:

Notify the Office of the Chief Risk Officer at 709-864-6216 immediately after any of these occur.