Maritime History On-line Catalogue
|Home New Search|
|An assortment of ledgers, account books and journals found in this fonds|
|Accession No:|| mha00000093|
|Title:|| A. H. Murray & Company (St. Anthony, Nfld.) Limited fonds|
|Location:|| Banks 20 and 21|
|Extent:|| 4.6 m of textual records|
|Source of Supplied Title:|| Supplied title based on provenance|
|Restrictions:|| No restrictions|
|Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch:|| A.H. Murray & Company (St. Anthony) Ltd., a subsidiary of A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd., St. John's, was incorporated in 1935. The company constructed a salt fish drying facility at St. Anthony, primarily to cure cod caught by schooner crews in the coast of Labrador. Artificial drying provided a standardized cure, and the St. Anthony location enables the product to be exported directly to market.|
The marketing situation changed in 1947 when the Newfoundland Associated Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) was established and given the exclusive right to market all salt codfish produced for export in Newfoundland and Labrador. All fish now had to be shipped through St. John's on a quota basis established for exporters. The Murray Company, however, continued until 1969 to supply fishermen on the Great Northern Peninsula and to purchase their produce. On 1 January 1979, the three Murray companies - A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd., St. John's; A.H. Murray & Company (St. Anthony) Ltd.; and Murray Agencies & Transport Co. Ltd., were amalgamated as Murray Industrial Ltd.
Established in 1952, Murray Agencies & Transport Co. Ltd., St. John's, Newfoundland, a subsidiary of A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd., was originally Murray Transport Co. Ltd., incorporated 3 April 1924. The firm's main focus was marine transport and shipping. Its head office was at Beck's Cove, off Water Street.
When A.H. Murray died on 10 August 1965, A.H. (Bill) Crosbie, his son-in-law, became the managing director of both A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd., and Murray Agencies & Transport Co. Ltd. On 1 January 1979, these two companies were restructured as Murray Industrial Ltd.
|Scope and Content:|| This fonds contains the records of A.H. Murray & Company (St. Anthony) Limited, 1934-1969, a subsidiary company which was established to expand Murray's influence in the fishery on the Northern Peninsula and Labrador. It includes correspondence with suppliers 1951-64, journals 1939-57, ledgers 1934-54, profit and loss statements 1935-55, cash books 1936-55, stock books 1934-59, salt reports 1935-59, operating accounts 1935-49, insurance policies 1952-61, Workmen's Compensation Board records 1951-59, employee income tax returns 1949-52, payroll ledger 1949-58, trawler accounts with Furness Withy and Harvey & Company Limited 1957-59, CN bills of lading 1957-60, and diary extracts, 1937.|
|Terms Governing Use:|| Copyright is expired on some items. For the remainder, copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs. It is the responsibility of the researchers to obtain copyright status and clearance.|
|Finding Aids:|| MHA finding aid 68|
|Subject:|| Business records|
|Subject:|| Merchants--Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Subject:|| St. Anthony (N.L.)|
Home New Search