Link to Maritime History Archive Web Site
single pixel Page Header single pixel
single pixel single pixel

Maritime History Archive Public Photo Catalogue

Home breadcrumb separator New Search breadcrumb separatorPrevious Image breadcrumb separatorNext Image breadcrumb separatorView Record List



Photo Title: "Clyde Valley" on dock and refit, Sydney Dry Dock and Engineering Co."
Image No.: PF-312.1105
Image Location: Lake4/pf312_1105.jpeg
Date of Creation: [ca. 1953]
Physical Description: 1 photograph : col. ; 7.5 x 11.5 cm
Biography/Admin History: The ship "Clyde Valley," official number 93690, was built in 1886 at Belfast, Ireland by MacIlwaine, Lewis & Co., Ltd. She was originally named the "Londoner" and "Balniel" and was owned by Lake Shipping Co., Ltd. And managed by Spencer G. Lake. The 476 gross ton "Clyde Valley" operated on the Newfoundland coastal service until grounded at Burin in 1953. The vessel was berthed at Sydney, Nova Scotia, to be scrapped, but instead Samuel G. Campbell of County Antrim, Ireland, purchased her. In 1968, designated the oldest iron clad vessel afloat, the "Clyde Valley" was shipped to Carrickfergus, Ireland, for conversion to a floating museum.
Collector: Harold L. Lake
Source Donor: Donated by Mrs. Robin Lake, 15 December 1994
Collection Title: Harold L. Lake Photograph Collection
Associated Material: Harold L. Lake fonds
Restrictions on Access: Copyright held by the Maritime History Archive. No image from the fonds may be reproduced for research or publication without permission from the archivist.
Copyright: c-mha
Physical Condition: Excellent
Notes: Title taken from caption on photo envelope.
Subjects: Clyde Valley (Ship) / Sydney Dry Dock & Engineering Co.



single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University