Family Medicine IMG Stream: CaRMS 2024 Match
In the CaRMS 2024 R-1 match, first iteration, there will be two parallel streams.
One stream will be for CMGs/USMGs without prior postgraduate training.
The second stream will be open to eligible IMGs (including US Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) graduates) without prior postgraduate training. These positions are identified as IMG positions on the CaRMS site and for 2024 are available in Memorial’s Family Medicine program.
Individuals who match in the IMG-Family Medicine stream are required to sign a return in service agreement by April 2, 2024 for a period of two (2) years served in Labrador-Grenfell Health Zone (Region 5), or five (5) years served elsewhere in the province. Failure to so will result in the offer of the postgraduate seat at Memorial to be rescinded.
Unfilled first iteration positions from the Family Medicine IMG stream will be competitive in the second iteration, i.e. open to all applicants (CMGs, USMGs and IMGs who fulfill the eligibility criteria), and will also require a return in service agreement for a period of two (2) years served in Labrador-Grenfell Health Zone (Region 5), or five (5) years served elsewhere in the province.
Return of Service Agreement Questions and Answers
1. What is Return of Service (RoS) Agreement?
- Participants are eligible to complete a residency program that is funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in exchange for a commitment to provide service within the province for a specific period of time.
2. What is the RoS Commitment for Memorial’s Family Medicine Residency Program, International Medical Graduate (IMG) Stream?
- Applicants who match to the Family Medicine Residency Program, IMG Stream, at Memorial will be required to provide a RoS commitment to practice family medicine in the province for a period of two (2) years served in Labrador-Grenfell Health Zone (Region 5), or five (5) years served elsewhere in the province.
3. How and when does my service begin?
- Upon successful completion of Memorial’s Family Medicine Residency Program, IMG Stream, the physician will provide familymedicine practice services in Newfoundland and Labrador for a period of two (2) years served in Labrador-Grenfell Health Zone (Region 5), or five (5) years served elsewhere in the province.
- Residents must begin work as a family physician in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador within three months of successful completion of Memorial’s Family Medicine Residency Program, IMG Stream.
- The physician will provide to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador continuous and comprehensive family medicine services on a consistent basis.
4. What if I am unable to fulfil my RoS commitment?
- A physician may request suspension or postponement of their RoS Agreement in writing to the Department of Health and Community Services (HCS); however, HCS will only consider a request for suspension or postponement in extenuating circumstances. Eligible reasons may include the physician’s serious personal illness, the physician’s maternity/parental leave, the serious illness or death of the physician’s dependant family member, or the physician’s additional medical training. HCS will decide whether to approve the request in its sole discretion.
- Alternatively, failure to fulfil a RoS commitment may result in Default of the Agreement whereby the physician will be required to repay the Defaulted Amount.
5. What if I require medical accommodation in order to fulfil my RoS commitment?
- Accommodations will be provided where possible in accordance with legislation.
6. What programs are currently available for family medicine physicians?
- Family Practice Programs aim to attract and retain new, qualified family physicians to provide primary healthcare services in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Department of Health and Community Services provides funding to eligible family physicians to help alleviate the financial burden associated with opening or joining a fee-for-service (FFS) family practice in the province. The Family Practice Programs consists of two incentives: the New Family Physician Income Guarantee and the Family Practice Start-up Program.
- New Family Physician Income Guarantee: New family physicians accepted for funding under this program who open a new clinic or join an established clinic billing on a fee-for-services basis will have their income guaranteed to be at least equivalent to the minimum level paid to a salaried physician (Step 1 of the Family Physician Salary Scale under the Memorandum of Agreement between the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association and the Department of Health and Community Services) in exchange for a two year provincial service agreement.
- Family Practice Start-Up Program: Funding of $150,000 (up to $150,000 for current Medical Resident Bursary program recipients) will be available to new family physicians who open or join a fee-for-service family practice in exchange for a five-year provincial service agreement.
- Eligibility criteria for the Family Practice Programs includes:
- New family physicians practicing in Newfoundland and Labrador, including:
- Physicians entering a FFS family practice for the first time;
- Physicians practicing family medicine in another province who intend to relocate to Newfoundland and Labrador to practice FFS family medicine;
- Medical residents in any year of a residency program;
- Canadian citizen/permanent resident status;
- Full or provisional licensure under the Medical Act, 2011 (note: provisional licensure requires Provincial Health Authority (PHA) sponsorship);
- IMGs doing their ROS can still avail of the Family Practice Programs (service periods to run concurrently);
- Residents may also be eligible for the Physicians Signing Bonus Program and/or the Medical Resident Bursary with additional information available on www.workinhealthnl.ca.
7. Where can I get further information?
- For more information on recruitment and retention of physicians in Newfoundland and Labrador, please email the Provincial Health Professional Recruitment and Retention Office, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, at Recruit@WorkInHealthNL.ca
- For more information on Memorial’s Family Medicine Residency Program, IMG Stream, please email Memorial’s Faculty of Medicine at email@example.com.
- For more information on or to apply for Family Practice Programs, please contact Medical Services, Department of Health and Community Services, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador at MedServicesPrograms@gov.nl.ca.
- For more information on employment as a physician in Newfoundland and Labrador or for information on bursaries and incentives, please visit Extraordinary Every Day (gov.nl.ca)