Collective Bargaining Update - Sept. 19, 2018
The university bargaining committee provides the following update on our most recent collective bargaining session, which occurred on September 13-14 with the assistance of a conciliation officer.
During the session, we were able to reach agreement on Article 20 – Complaints, Grievance and Arbitration.
The parties focused their attention on Article 3-Duties and Responsibilities of Faculty Members, specifically on a process to consider course equivalences on a university wide basis; Article 19 – Disciplinary Measures and Non-disciplinary Relief from Duties in aligning the collective agreement with Tri –Council requirements; and Article 26 – Miscellaneous Working Conditions. As well, MUNFA submitted a response to our latest proposal on Article 17 – Tenure-Track Appointment and Tenure for Librarians and Article 18 – Procedures and Criteria for Promotion of Librarians.
Typically during the conciliation process the conciliation officer will encourage the parties to resolve the outstanding Articles that are predominantly non-monetary in nature prior to engaging in a discussion on the monetary items.
At this point the following Articles remain unresolved:
• 1 - Framework and Implementation
• 3 – Duties and Responsibilities of Faculty Members
• 5 – Reduction in Duties and Responsibilities
• 12 – Procedures and Criteria for Promotion of Faculty Members
• 17 – Tenure-Track Appointment and Tenure for Librarians
• 18 - Procedures and Criteria for Promotion of Librarians
• 19 - Disciplinary Measures and Non-disciplinary Relief from Duties
• 22 – Leaves
• 23 – Term, Subsidized, Adjunct, Joint and Cross, Special Visiting and Spousal Appointments
• 26 – Miscellaneous Working Conditions
• 27 – Patents and Copyrights
• 30 – Cooperative and Field Education
• 31 – Salaries and Benefits
• 32 – Distance Education
The university is committed to the conciliation process in an attempt to conclude a renewed collective agreement that is acceptable to both parties.
Conciliation has been scheduled for September 20 – 21 and we will provide another update after that session.
On behalf of the University Negotiation Committee
Geoff Williams, Co-Chief Negotiator
Ian McKinnon, Co- Chief Negotiator