Collective Bargaining Update - May 7, 2018
The university bargaining committee wanted to provide an update as the bargaining process with MUNFA continues. Since the last update, the parties met on March 29 and April 20 to continue negotiations.
During these session, the parties submitted/exchanged proposals on the following Articles:
- 3 - Duties and Responsibilities of Faculty Members
- 4 - Duties and Responsibilities of Librarians
- 7 - Appointment of Faculty Members
- 8 - Procedures for the Formation of Promotion and Tenure Committees for Faculty Members
- 9 - The Assessment File for Non-Decision Year Review, Extension of Tenure-Track Appointment, Tenure and Promotion for Faculty Members
- 10 - Procedures for Promotion and Tenure Committees for Faculty Members
- 11 - Tenure-Track Appointment and Tenure for Faculty Members
- 12 – Procedures and Criteria for Promotion of Faculty Members
- 13 - Appointment of Librarians
- 14 - Procedures for the Formation of Promotion and Tenure Committees for Librarians
- 15 -The Assessment File for Non-Decision Year Review, Extension of Tenure-Track Appointment, Tenure and Promotion for Librarians
- 16 - Procedures for Promotion and Tenure Committees for Librarians
- 17 - Tenure-Track Appointment and Tenure for Librarians
- 18 - Procedures and Criteria for Promotion of Librarians
As well, we are hopeful of having constructive dialogue around more collegial accountability for faculty members holding the rank of Professor.
In presenting our responses to the issues identified in MUNFA proposals, the University has attempted to address those issues through either accepting the proposed language or providing alternate wording for consideration. Through our discussions we are close to signing-off on changes to Article 15.
It is important to note that we are working our way through the articles and issues identified and it is normal for progress to seem slow at this stage of negotiations. We are committed to the bargaining process which has an acceptable agreement for both sides at its conclusion, and will continue to share what information we are able as it becomes available. If there are any items you would like to discuss in detail, please contact us at Faculty Relations.
On behalf of the University Negotiation Committee
Geoff Williams, Co-Chief Negotiator
Ian McKinnon, Co- Chief Negotiator