Collective Bargaining Update - July 16, 2018
The university bargaining committee provides the following update on our most recent collective bargaining sessions.
You may recall that our previous update indicated that MUNFA applied for conciliation on June 14, 2018. A conciliation officer was assigned and set dates of July 4, 5, 10, and 11 to continue collective bargaining.
The conciliation officer is assisting the parties to work through all the outstanding issues, clarifying points that may be unclear and providing suggestions for the parties’ consideration to fully explore all avenues to resolve the issues.
During the conciliation bargaining sessions, we were able to reach agreement on several Articles as noted below:
- 2 – Academic Rights and Freedoms;
- 7 - Appointment of Faculty Members;
- 8 – Procedures for the Formation of Promotion and Tenure Committees for Faculty Members;
- 9 – The Assessment File for Non-Decision Year Review, Extension of Tenure-Track Appointment, Tenure and Promotion for Faculty Members;
- 10 – Procedures for Promotion and Tenure Committees for Faculty Members;
- 11 – Tenure-Track Appointment and Tenure for Faculty Members;
- 13 - Appointment of Librarians; and
- 14 - Procedures for the Formation of Promotion and Tenure Committees for Librarians.
We engaged in dialogue on several other Articles, in addition to the ones noted above. The conciliation officer will be contacting the parties involved with proposed additional dates to continue collective bargaining.
Both Ian and I are thankful for the insight, experience and dedication provided by the University Negotiation Committee, comprised of Dr. Mark Abrahams, associate vice-president (research) pro tempore; Dr. Sean Cadigan, associate vice-president (academic), programs, complement planning and development; Dr. Alice Gaudine, dean, School of Nursing; Dr. Greg Naterer, dean, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science; Tracey Pittman, advisor, academic labour relations, Faculty Relations; Dr. Laura Robinson, dean, School of Arts and Social Science, Grenfell Campus; and Dr. Aimée Surprenant, dean, School of Graduate Studies.
On behalf of the University Negotiation Committee
Geoff Williams, Co-Chief Negotiator
Ian McKinnon, Co- Chief Negotiator