Family Tax Benefits

Family Tax Benefits

As a parent in Canada, you may be eligible to receive tax benefits after you have been in Canada for 18 months.

Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

The Canada child benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. The CCB might include the child disability benefit and any related provincial and territorial programs. If you already received CCTB or UCCB, you don’t need to apply. However, both you and your partner must file your tax return each year to receive CCB.

The Canada Revenue Agency uses information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate how much your CCB payments will be. To get the CCB, you have to file your return every year, even if you did not have income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return every year.

Benefits are paid over a 12-month period from July of one year to June of the next year. Your benefit payments will be recalculated every July based on information from your income tax and benefit return from the previous year.

For international student families to be eligible:

  1. You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  2. You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
  3. You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  4. You or your spouse or common-law partner must be: a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, protected person or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month

For further information regarding application and eligibility, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.  To apply, click here. 

Child Disability Benefit (CDB) - The Child Disability Benefit is a tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under age 18 who is eligible for the disability tax credit. A child is eligible for the disability tax credit when a medical practitioner certifies, on Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, that the child has a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions, and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) approves the form.

Further information click here. 

GST/HST credit

The goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. To apply for the GST/HST credit click here. 


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000