News and Current Events

A Message for students from Saudi Arabia:

Many of you have informed us of the message you have received indicating that you must leave Canada. Please know that those of us in the university community are deeply saddened by this news. We realize that the coming weeks and months may be very challenging for you and we want you to know that we will help as best we can during this transition. First, however, it is important for us to acknowledge the significant contributions you have made to the Memorial University community as students, staff and volunteers. Our programs have benefited tremendously from your talents and efforts and you will be greatly missed. So, as we consider how best to address this difficult time, it is written with the hope that a solution will be found in a timely manner and instructions on how to leave Canada may not have to be actioned.

Many of you have contacted us seeking guidance for next steps. The following checklist is intended to ease the transition but please do follow up with the Internationalization Office, Registrar’s Office, School of Graduate Studies, the Cashier’s Office or your department if you have specific questions or concerns.

Leaving Memorial University:
• Request an official transcript. Instructions on how to do so can be found here:
• If intending to transfer credits obtain course descriptions online, from course syllabi provided by instructors or through archived University Calendars (
• Return books to the library
• Obtain a locker refund (if applicable)
• If you are a graduate student, return office keys to your departmental administrative office
• Update your contact information on your Self-Service Account to reflect your forwarding address
• Reconcile any fees owing on your Student Account so that there are no issues with transferring credits

Leaving Canada:
• Arrange travel
• Give notice to your landlord as per your lease or rental agreement, if you have questions or concerns contact Valeri Pilgrim, or Off Campus Housing
• Request an apartment inspection with your landlord to obtain your damage deposit
• Cancel utilities (NL Power, internet, etc.) for bills in your name
• Disconnect or transfer cell phone or Wifi services
• Close or transfer bank accounts
• Arrange for mail forwarding services through Canada Post|ddn|ml|225
• If you have immigration questions then consult with our immigration advisor, Arif Abu
• If you require a renewal of prescriptions or want to have your medical file transferred book an appointment with your family doctor before you travel


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000