Outbound Exchange Students

What is it?

A student exchange is a program in which students from a university study abroad at one of our partner institutions. It consists of a formal agreement between the two universities that allows the exchange of students. Furthermore, Memorial University students are to pay Memorial University’s tuition rates and fees during an exchange program. International student tuition at most institutions is comparatively high so it makes an exchange program through Memorial University very attractive.

Where can I go?

Check our Exchange Partners.

Memorial University has academic exchange agreements with over 120 universities worldwide. Your exchange coordinator will have a complete listing of all the institutions that are available to you, as specific institutional agreements may be limited to particular faculties (ex: business students only) and levels of study (ex: undergraduate only).

To assist students with this decision making process, Memorial University's exchange coordinators can aid in finding the right partner institution for you and your field of study. Students are encouraged to categorize their choices by country and specific academic program. This enables you and your exchange coordinator to find an exchange program that fits your academic field and personal interests.

In order to start your search and find more information on each of the partner institution, you can follow the Exchange Partner link listed in the left-hand side menu. You can also contact an exchange coordinator for more information. This contact information can be found in the section titled "Applying for exchange" below.

When can I go?

This answer depends on your program of study and availability of exchange spaces at partner institutions. Memorial University students have the opportunity to go on an exchange during the summer, fall or winter semesters, and most students go through the application process during their second year of study and actually go on an exchange during their third year.

Students wishing to take courses abroad within their last 10 courses of their first degree from Memorial University must seek special permission from the undergraduate studies committee from their respective department. This request must be made in writing and include: the number of courses to be taken outside of MUN (in the last 10) and rationale for this choice. This letter will then be forwarded to the Registrar's Office.

Application Deadlines*

Fall Semester 2017: February 15th**

Spring or Summer 2017: February 1st

Winter Semester 2017: September 15th

*Applications recieved after this date will be considered depending on partner institution flexibility.

** Applications for UArctic North2North exchanges must be in by February 1st


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000