Step 3: Create budget
|Home||Step 1:Options||Step 2: Eligibility||Step 3: Finances||Step 4: Apply||Step 5: Prepare|
Planning for your journey to Memorial can be complex. We hope that we can help shed light on some of the financial costs of your exchange here.
ESTIMATED COST FOR A SEMESTER, ST. JOHN'S CAMPUS
|Health Insurance (Mandatory)||Per Semester ( further details)||$261.59|
|Off-Campus (room in shared house / apt)||$500 - $700 per month|
|Off-Campus||$500 per month|
|Books||$150 per course|
|Flight to St. John's||$1500 - $2000|
|TOTAL estimate (On-Campus)||$7841|
|TOTAL estimate (Off-Campus)||$7236|
* Excluded are the costs for living and entertainment.
* All funds are in Canadian Dollars (CAD).
Currently, Memorial University does not offer scholarships for incoming exchange students. However, there are specific external scholarship programs for which you may be eligible.
- Emerging Leaders of the Americas Program - for students from partner schools from Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos; Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Mexico; Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) - for students from partner schools from Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos (Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR)), Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam).
- UArctic North2North members may be eligible for Scholarships.
SAMPLE LIVING COSTS
To give you an example of how much it costs to live in St. John's, we've compiled a short list of everyday expenses (in CAD):
|Loaf of Bread||$3.50|
|Can of Soup||$1.99|
|Potatoes (10 pound bag)||$5.99|
|Frozen Dinner (Lunch)||$2 - 4|
|Bananas (per pound)||$.79 - 1.19|
|Bus Fare (1 ride)||$2.50|
|Taxi Fare (15 minutes)||$15-$25|
|Electricity - Heat / Light (if utilities not included) (per month)||$60-100|
|High Speed Internet (per month, not shared)||$100-$150|
|Cable TV (per month, not shared)||$50-$150|
|Hockey Ticket (Growlers)||$20 - $32|
|Basketball Ticket (The Edge)||$11.50 - $39.68|
|Live Theatre (look for "PWYC" shows)||$15 - $35|
|Dining Out (Fast Food Meal)||$8 - $12|
|Dining Out (Sports Bar, Family Restaurant)||$15 - $25|
*Please keep in mind that grocery items frequently go on sale, so it is best to shop wisely for deals and at various locations.