Welcome New Students
As a reminder, it is important to note that you are not expected to travel to Newfoundland and Labrador to complete your studies in fall 2020. The Government of Canada international travel ban remains in place at this time.
Only under exceptional circumstances will you be able to physically relocate to Newfoundland and Labrador for study.
There are several measures that must be in place prior to your travel. To note:
- You meet the requirements to exit your home country
- You meet the Canadian Federal Government's travel exemptions related to COVID-19.
- You either,
- Hold a valid study permit;
- Are coming from the United States and have been approved for a study permit; OR
- Are coming from another country and have been approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020; AND
- Travel to Canada is essential (non-discretionary) in nature
- Our office confirms your mandatory on campus 14 day self-isolation plan for your arrival in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- It is mandatory for all new international students to self-isolate on campus.
- You have received a letter to support your travel from the Internationalization Office (IO) at Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- You are exempt from travel restrictions to seek entry to Newfoundland and Labrador (NL).
- It is mandatory for our office to complete the provincial travel exemption on your behalf.
Once you have prepared the items #1 through #3, the Internationalization Office can assist with items #4 through #5.
Support from Memorial University
We ask that you complete the travel request letter form so that we are aware of the critical details of your travel to Newfoundland and Labrador. This is required in order to provide you with a travel request letter as well as to make an application on your behalf for a travel exemption to NL.
Please note that completion of the form does not guarantee that a letter will be issued to you or that an exemption request can be made. Staff from the IO will be in contact with you regarding your request. Do not book travel until you meet all 4 of these criteria and have received the necessary supporting documents through the IO.
Once your form is reviewed and approved, you will recieve additional follow-up communications via email from the Internationalization Office staff. Our team is busy working on programming to help support you during your self-isolation period and beyond.
Disclaimer: This information is accurate as of August 18, 2020. The website will be updated should travel restrictions change. The Immigration Advising Team at the Internationalization Office can help keep you updated if you have questions. Click here for information on how to connect with a regulated immigration advisor.