International Experience Canada

Memorial University is is a recognized organization under the International Experience Canada Program.

International Experience Canada (IEC), part of the Government of Canada, manages youth mobility agreements with other countries and foreign territories that make it easier for young Canadians to get a work permit or visa to work and travel abroad. 

If you are a Canadian citizen aged 18 to 35, IEC provides you a path to work and explore in one of over 30 countries and territories. For a complete, up-to-date list of available countries, please visit:

By taking part in IEC you:

  • Gain valuable international work experience that can take your career to the next level;
  • Develop life-long connections and help strengthen Canada’s place in the global work force; 
  • Experience the world while you work to discover your strengths and find your inspiration.

Under IEC’s agreements, work permits are generally:

  • Easier to get;
  • Flexible;
  • Less expensive; &
  • Processed more quickly than other types of work permits.

The IEC program offers three streams of work permits:

  • Working/holiday and open work permit: Allows you to work in a variety of positions and explore some of the most beautiful locations in the world.
  • Co-op work permit: Allows you to work abroad as part of your academic program.
  • Young professionals and employer specific work permits: Allows you to extend your work permit for an additional 12 months in a foreign country, working for a specific employer.