Professional Development Information
Learn fundamental tools to expand your influence and effectiveness as a leader.
Effective leaders influence, inspire and motivate people to perform to their highest potential in support of the organizations goals. This interactive 2-day course explores the fundamental tools needed to become a more effective leader. Focused on four areas of leadership development leading self, leading others, leading without authority, and leading organizational strategy this course allows participants the opportunity to explore their style, to understand the foundations of effectively leading others, influencing direction without authority, as well as, creating and implementing effective organizational strategy. Using self-assessment feedback, participants assess their preferred style, and their current leadership behaviour to identify personal strengths and improvement opportunities. Participants create action plans for future improvements.
This module is an elective module in the Public Sector Leadership Management Development Program.
Past Participants Said:
"Engaging staff in the idea that each of us can be a leader in our organization regardless of title or position."
- Sean Martin, Municipal Assessment Agency
"Especially enjoyed the disussions, handouts requiring participation, and moving into smaller rooms (physical movement throughout the day)"
- Travey Sceviour, Municipal Assessment Agency
"This was so eye opening. As someone who has a wide range of leadership training, this course melded it all togehter and made it clearer."
- Discover personal leadership style strengths and weaknesses
- Improve communication and influencing skills
- Discover areas for self-improvement
- Better lead organizational strategy
- Advance in your career
- More effective and inspired leaders
- Create better teams
- Build leaders who align with organizational strategy
- Prepare for succession planning
Who Should Attend
Those who are, or becoming leaders, and want to expand on their leadership effectiveness.
- Define and explore the qualities and behaviours of effective leaders
- Learn the dimensions of a full range of leadership styles
- Using self-assessment feedback, assess your preferred style, and your current leadership behaviour to identify personal strengths and improvement opportunities
- Understand the challenges of working with people with different styles
- Learn effective ways to influence others without relying on formal authority
- Define key changes you need to make in order to improve your leadership
- Learn how to effectively develop and implement organizational strategy
- Develop an action plan incorporating interaction styles, leadership foundations, and bases of influence in support of your organizational strategy