Professional Development Information
HR Policy Essentials
Learn how to manage the HR policy life cycle. Discover the benefits of HR policies and why organizations need an employee handbook and clear HR policies/procedures to reduce risk, improve employee relations, and to facilitate consistent management decision making.
This seminar reviews human resources policy methodology and uses a nine-stage policy development approach and implementation model. This approach combines key policy considerations, tasks, and stakeholder consultation to ensure understanding and buy-in to policy intent and content. The key to successful policy adoption is consultation combined with a committed Senior Management Sponsor.
This seminars learning objectives are to ensure that participants who complete the course finish with an understanding of how to write a new HR policy; and also how to critically assess and identify gaps in an existing HR policy. Participants will also learn how to assemble an employee communications plan for implementing new and amended HR policies; and key considerations for how to interpret and respond to employee HR policy questions.
Key provisions from Newfoundland & Labradors Human Rights Act and Labour Standards Act that relate to HR policies will be covered. It is critical that policies are aligned with legislation to maintain credibility and to support managers in their decision making and people management practices.
This is a module in the Human Resource Professional Program.
- Learn to identify the difference between a policy, procedure, and guidelines
- Understand the dos and donts for HR policy writing and management
- Review applied examples of policy interpretation and real life examples
- Cover a proven methodology for managing an HR policy portfolio
- Receive a ready to use HR policy and procedure template that contains key sections in a standardized format.
- Understand why an employer requires HR policies
- Know key considerations related to specific key policies to reduce employer risk of liability
- Identify proven communication practices for increasing employee compliance and awareness of HR policies
- Identify key HR policies to include in employee orientation session for new hires
- Increase awareness of what HR policies are critical and how this can vary based on an employers size
Who Should Attend
This session is most applicable to HR Managers, small business owners, and people managers.
This seminar is broken down into 5 sections:
Key Considerations for
Management of HR Policy