Professional Development Information
Introduction to Workplace Alternative Dispute Resolution
Learn the various types of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods and how to choose what will work best for your organization and situation.
This interactive seminar guides participants through the explanations and applications of the various types of ADR methods available in a workplace environment. The goal is to give participants the knowledge to choose the best dispute resolution approach to use in various situations, and the skills to start applying these approaches to prevent and manage organizational conflict more effectively.
This seminar will use a combination of seminar-style presentation, small group activities, case study analysis, and large group discussion and brainstorming.
This is a module in the Influence, Negotiation, and Conflict Management Program.
- Understand the types of ADR options available
- Explore potential biases that affect how parties interact
- Discover the best ways to prevent unnecessary workplace conflict
- Learn how to plan for difficult conversations ahead of time
- Understand how various communication methods impact conflict
- Build stronger working relationships between team members
- Reduce costs by minimizing the time to resolve issues
- Increase managers confidence in their ability to resolve conflict effectively
- Improve morale by giving staff the skills to address basic conflict without having to escalate to the management level.
Who Should Attend
Team leaders, managers, professionals, supervisors, customer service providers.
- Overall explanation of ADR
- Benefits of ADR over the legal system
- Methods (individual) of preventing negative conflict before it occurs
- Methods (organizational) of preventing negative conflict before it occurs
- Determining what conflict should be addressed and what conflict should be ignored
- Situations that are not suitable for ADR methods alone
- Understand perceptual biases and how they affect conflict
- Determining the pros and cons of various communication methods to use in the negotiation process
- Steps to a successful negotiation/conflict discussion
- Understanding the limitations of negotiation
- Ways to identify when negotiation is not safe or suitable
- The role of conflict coaching in organizational conflict
- When conflict coaching can be beneficial
- Challenges with conflict coaching
- Understanding the difference between facilitation and mediation
- Choosing the best facilitator for the situation
- Understanding the role of a mediator
- Difference between mediation and arbitration
- Types of mediation available
- Benefits and limitations of mediation
- Voluntary vs. mandated mediation
- Determining whether formal or informal mediation is the best match for the situation
- The role of lawyers in mediation
- Understanding the role of an arbitrator
- Differences and similarities between arbitration and the court system
- Benefits and limitations of arbitration
- The role of lawyers in arbitration