Certificate Program Info
Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program
The Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program is an interactive learning experience which brings together managers and leaders from a variety of government departments, crown corporations and agencies at the municipal, provincial and federal level. Participants learn practical skills and theory from the facilitators and gain valuable insight from their professional exchange with key partners and colleagues.
The Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program is a custom program developed by Gardiner Centre in conjunction with a steering committee comprised of Federal and Provincial government representatives. The program is designed to build core competencies within the provincial and federal public service of Newfoundland and Labrador. The program addresses leadership and management theory and practice relevant to all public service organizations. The interactive nature of the program provides participants with a unique forum for professional exchange, learning, and relationship building.
Gardiner Centre is committed to delivering courses which are current and relevant in todays environment. The Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Programis reviewed annually by the steering committee to make revisions that reflect the changing needs of the public service.
The Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program has been modified to be more flexible and relevant - focused on your needs. The 10 module program has undergone changes in topic areas, instructors, electives, and pricing.
Graduation from the Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program requires participants to complete the following 10 modules: 8 required modules and two elective modules.
Leadership Fundamentals December 3 and 4, 2019
Leading Organizational Change December 12, 2019
The Fundamentals of Project Management January 15 and 16, 2020
Managing Your Workload February 17, 2020
Performance Coaching & Development March 26 and 27, 2020
2 Elective Seminars - To be selected from any of Gardiner Centre's professional development seminar offerings.
Applied Learning Report: a two to four page submission outlining the benefits of the application of the program in your workplace.
This certificate is structured to be flexible and self-directed so that it can be completed within one year or over several years.
Financial Assistance Available
The Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Job Grant Program provides financial assistance to private and non-profit employers to offset the cost of providing training to new or current employees. Employers can access to up to $15,000 in government support for employee training per trainee! More information on the funding application can be found at https://www.gov.nl.ca/aesl/
- Understand and define your personal leadership and management style
- Learn to adapt your leadership and management style to meet the need of your workplace
- Become a more competent and confident decision maker
- Expand your knowledge of the political, economic and social factors which impact the process of government
- Improve project management skills
- Enhance communication skills
- Network with leaders from a variety of public sector organizations
- Learn the principles of individual and collective wellness
- Gain knowledge in employee and team coaching techniques
- Build competency of organizational leaders
- Improve organizational effectiveness
- Improve change management processes
- Manage the interface between ethics, values and government regulations
- Motivate teams to achieve higher productivity and performance
- Foster trust among stakeholders
- Improve decision making processes
- Enhance work management techniques
- Build high performing teams
- Use job coaching to improve productivity, motivation and morale
- Share best practices and strategies
- Build consistent management practices across the organization
Who Should Attend
The Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program provides training for public sector Managers, Directors, Assistant Deputy Ministers, supervisors and other professionals who wish to develop their core competencies in these areas. Participants will benefit from targeted training to develop their core leadership and management competencies.