ESL Level Placement and Progression in IEP and IBP
- Students admitted to the Intensive English Program and Intensive Bridge Program will need to take our MUN Test of English Language (MUNTEL), which will place them in the appropriate level of IEP or IBP.
- Students who do not take MUNTEL will not be allowed to start the ESL Pathway Programs.
- When you apply for our ESL Pathway Program, you need to:
Submit an ESL application form;
Pay the $150 ESL application fee;
Pay the $150 MUNTEL fee.
Once we receive the ESL application form and your fee payments (total amount: $300), we will send you the instructions to take MUNTEL on the next exam date. After you complete MUNTEL, our team of ESL Instructors will assess your test and calculate your band score for each component of the test. The scores will place you in one of the 7 levels of our ESL Pathway Programs (IEP/IBP). Please refer to the chart below to see what MUNTEL scores are required for placement in each level.
Attention: If you applied for a Memorial University graduate program and your MUNTEL score is high enough to meet Memorial University’s English Proficiency requirements for graduate programs right away, you will not need to complete our ESL Pathway Programs and we will provide a recommendation to Memorial’s graduate admissions office stating that you meet Memorial University’s English Proficiency requirements.
MUNTEL scores required for placement in each level:
|Admission to Graduate Programs at Memorial|| Reading & Listening |
|7 (IBP)||Reading & Listening |
|6 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
|5 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
|4 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
|3 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
|2-1 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 10-15 |
Students can progress in the Intensive English Program (IEP) as follows:
- Move through one level per semester:
- Level 1: Beginner
- Level 2: High-Beginner
- Level 3: Pre-Intermediate
- Level 4: Intermediate
- Level 5: High-Intermediate
- Level 6: High-Intermediate/Advanced
- Level 7: Advanced (Intensive Bridge Program)
- Skip a level with straight As: students who achieve straight As in all their ESL courses can re-write the English placement test at the beginning of the following semester to determine if they can skip a level.
- Prove language ability: students may be moved to the next level during the first two weeks of classes if their ESL instructors determine that their skills are too high for the level in which they have been placed.
Passing/Failing a level
- Students need to earn at least a 65 in all of their Intensive English Program courses to pass a level.
- Students who fail a level will need to repeat that same level in the following semester.
Please note: In order to receive a recommendation for entry to Memorial University, students still need to earn the grades outlined in the ESL Recommendations Policy (Intensive Bridge Program (IBP): students who get at least one A and no grade lower than 70 will receive a recommendation for entry to Memorial; Level 6, Intensive English Program (IEP): students who get all As will receive a recommendation for entry to Memorial).