MUN Test of English Language
See the below video for an overview of the MUN Test of English Language:
What is MUNTEL?
The MUN Test of English Language (MUNTEL) is an online assessment administered by Memorial’s ESL Programs.
We also use MUNTEL for placement in our ESL Pathway Programs (Intensive English Program and Intensive Bridge Program).
What is the cost of MUNTEL?
The MUNTEL Registration Fee is CAD $150 (non-refundable).
How do I register for MUNTEL?
- Fill out a MUNTEL Registration Form and email it to email@example.com
OR fill out the MUNTEL Registration Webform
- Pay the MUNTEL Registration Fee (CAD $150)
How to pay the MUNTEL Registration Fee
- Students outside of Canada: pay via Global Pay (at the same time as you submit the MUNTEL registration form)
- Students in Canada (and students in countries where Global Pay is not accepted): contact the ESL Finance Officer to arrange a credit card payment
NOTE: Students taking only MUNTEL need to submit the MUNTEL registration form and pay the MUNTEL registration fee (total: CAD $150).
NOTE: Students applying for the ESL Pathway Programs do not need to submit a MUNTEL registration form. The ESL Application contains a section stating: Please select an exam date from our MUNTEL calendar. Students need to pay both the ESL application fee and the MUNTEL registration fee (two CAD $150 payments – total: CAD $300). We will issue the ESL Pathway Programs acceptance letter only once we have received the ESL application form and both payments.
*Please note that once you register for an exam date, you will need to take MUNTEL on that date. It is not possible to request a date change.
- Exam Date: April 16, 2021
Deadline for students to register (including MUNTEL registration fee payment): March 19, 2021
- Exam Date: May 28, 2021
Deadline for students to register (including MUNTEL registration fee payment): April 30, 2021
- Exam Date: July 2, 2021
Deadline for students to register (including MUNTEL registration fee payment): June 4, 2021
- Exam Date August 6, 2021
Deadline for students to register (including MUNTEL registration fee payment): July 9, 2021
Please note: registering for the exam does not provide direct access to the exam. To access the exam, you will need to follow all the instructions provided below.
What are the components of MUNTEL?
MUNTEL has four components:
What does each component of MUNTEL include?
- Reading (40 minutes)
The reading component includes two reading selections and comprehension questions. The questions assess a variety of skills (e.g. skimming, scanning, main ideas, details, process, filling in data sets, inference, analysis, and other academic skills).
- Listening (20 minutes)
The listening component includes the following tasks:
- 5 minutes to preview questions
- 10 minutes to listen to a lecture and answer questions
- 5 minutes for a final review of answers
Please note that the timing for these sections is approximate and will vary slightly depending on the length of the lecture.
- Writing (45 minutes)
The writing component is an essay response to a writing prompt. It requires the use of the reading materials (and the listening if you wish) - the response must include information from the sources and not include personal ideas. Students will have access to the readings to draw ideas while writing the essay.
- Speaking (5 minutes)
The speaking component includes a 2-minute 30 second video of the student’s response to a provided question. The questions are related to general knowledge / personal experience. Students will have one to two minutes to prepare their response.
Who evaluates MUNTEL?
A team of ESL instructors evaluates MUNTEL.
What scores do I need to pass MUNTEL?
You need the following band scores to enter Memorial University's undergraduate/graduate programs:
- Reading & Listening (combined score): 60
- Writing: 60
- Speaking: 60
|Admission to Degree Programs at Memorial||Reading & Listening |
| 60 |
|7 (IBP)|| Reading & Listening |
| 50 |
|6 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 40 |
|5 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 30 |
|4 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 25 |
|3 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 20 |
|1-2 (IEP)||Reading & Listening |
| 10-15 |
*** Please note that certain programs require higher test scores than Memorial University’s general requirements: (e.g. Department of English)***
***Please note that for the Faculty of Business Administration, the minimum MUNTEL score required for the graduate programs is an overall band score of 70 for “Reading” & “Listening”, “Writing” and “Speaking”.***
Are there any special requirements to take MUNTEL?
Yes. You need:
- A computer with a webcam and microphone, a stable internet connection, a quiet space with a table/desk, and a mirror (to show the proctor the area around your computer screen). For more details on what is required visit CITL and/or ProctorU.
- A piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g. your passport). You will present your ID to the test invigilator on test day to confirm your identity. If you do not have the proper valid identification, you will not be allowed to start the test.
PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION BELOW VERY CAREFULLY.
If test takers do not follow the instructions below, they may not be able to take MUNTEL on the exam date. If test takers do not follow these instructions and miss the exam, they will need to pay another MUNTEL fee to take the exam on another date.
BEFORE the MUNTEL exam date
- After you register for MUNTEL (about 14-10 days prior to the exam date), you will receive an email with your login information for Brightspace—the platform used to deliver the test.
- As soon as you get the email, you should log into Brightspace in order to:
- Make sure you do not encounter any technical difficulties. If you experience any, you should contact CITL Support Centre.
- Review general information about MUNTEL (your test will not be available until the scheduled date, though).
- It is recommended that you review information on taking a Quiz in Brightspace and do the sample test.
- MUNTEL is a test proctored by ProctorU, an online proctoring service that Memorial University uses to supervise exams within Brightspace. You should learn about proctoring procedures prior to test day.
- In order to take the exam, you need to:
- Register with ProctorU by visiting their Create an Account page.
- Download the ProctorU extension for Chrome or Firefox (no other browsers are compatible).
- Test your system using the computer you will use on exam day by visiting the System Test page (successful completion of this system test will ensure the computer you will use is compatible with online proctoring).
- From your ProctorU account, schedule the time of your test. MUNTEL will be open for a 24-hour period, but you need to choose a 2-hour period in that time frame that works best for you. You must schedule your test at least 72 hours before the start of the exam (scheduling 72 hours or less before the exam will result in a penalty fee that you will have to pay yourself).
- To avail of the best selection of appointment times, you should schedule your test as soon as possible.
- If you encounter any problems, support for ProctorU is available 24 hours a day at 1-855-772-8678.
- You are encouraged to review FAQs on the ProctorU website and on the CITL website.
- Please note that scheduling a time with ProctorU does not guarantee approval to write the exam. You will get access to the exam on Brightspace only if you have registered and paid the MUNTEL registration fee for that specific exam date.
ON the MUNTEL exam date
- On test day, MUNTEL will be available for completion at the time you scheduled with ProctorU.
- You will have 2 hours to complete MUNTEL from the time you begin.
- The test must be completed in a single sitting (no breaks are allowed).
- Establish a quiet and secure location to take the test.
- Log into Brightspace. If you experience any problems with this step, please contact CITL Support Centre.
- Log into the ProctorU Testing Center site at least fifteen minutes before your scheduled start time to allow for necessary set-up with your proctor.
- You will be required to show one piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g. your passport) to the proctor at the start of your test session.
- The only exam aids allowed are a blank sheet of paper and a pen or pencil.
- You will be asked to download and run a “LogMeIn Rescue” applet file (a chat tool that allows you to text with your proctor during the test).
- You will not be allowed to interact with anyone except the remote proctor during the exam.
- Any interruptions may require the proctor to immediately stop the test and end the session.
- Select the test link on the ProctorU website to begin your set-up/ test session and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your proctor will enter a password for you to access and begin your exam.
- In Brightspace, select TEST CONTENT from the Course Home menu, carefully read the instructions, and proceed with the test. Initially, you will only have access to Reading 1 Quiz, and when you complete and submit it, the next part of the exam will become available.
- For more information about the proctored test procedure, click here.
AFTER the MUNTEL exam date
Does my MUNTEL score expire?
Yes. Your score is valid for 1 year from the exam date.
If my MUNTEL score meets Memorial University’s English proficiency requirements for undergraduate/graduate degree programs, what happens next?
After you complete MUNTEL, our team of ESL Instructors will assess your test and calculate your band scores for each component. We will email you an unofficial score report as soon as your score is available.
If you achieve the score needed to meet Memorial University's English language proficiency requirements for undergraduate/graduate degree programs, ESL will notify the undergraduate and graduate admissions offices. You will also receive an email from ESL where we will notify you that we have recommended you for entry to Memorial.
If my MUNTEL score does NOT meet Memorial University's English proficiency requirements for undergraduate/graduate programs, what should I do?
You are welcome to apply for our ESL Pathway Programs. Through our Pathway programs, we can provide a recommendation so that students can start their undergraduate or graduate program at Memorial without needing to submit a standardized test score or other proofs of English Language Proficiency.
I want to apply for the ESL Pathway Programs (IEP/IBP). Do I need to take MUNTEL?
Yes! When you apply for our ESL Pathway Program, you need to:
- Submit an ESL application form;
- Pay the $150 ESL application fee;
- Pay the $150 MUNTEL fee.
Once we receive the ESL application form and your fee payments (total amount: $300), we will send you the instructions to take MUNTEL on the next exam date. After you complete MUNTEL, our team of ESL Instructors will assess your test and calculate your band score for each component of the test. The scores will place you in one of the 7 levels of our ESL Pathway Programs (IEP/IBP). Please refer to the chart above to see what MUNTEL scores are required for placement in each level.
Attention: If your score is high enough to meet Memorial University’s English Proficiency requirements for undergraduate/graduate programs right away, you will not need to complete our ESL Pathway Programs and we will provide a recommendation to Memorial’s undergraduate/graduate admissions offices stating that you meet Memorial University’s English Proficiency requirements.