FAQ - Admissions

Covid-19 Admission Information

Thank you for your patience and support as we continue to work together to transition our operations while maintaining our commitment to our prospective students. We are actively working to continue the processing of all 2020 applications for admission into the Faculty of Education. While we have experienced delays, we do anticipate applicants will be notified of admission decisions in the coming weeks.

Will the Bachelor of Education (Intermediate/Secondary) Conjoint with Diploma in Technology Education be starting in Spring 2020?

Yes, this program will start this Spring semester as planned but due to the ongoing Public Health Emergency, the Spring semester will be offered remotely. The practical components of Spring semester courses will be offered as soon as students are able to return to campus.

How will Pass/Fail effect my application to the Faculty of Education?
2020 Undergraduate Applications:
Due to the current Public Health Emergency, the Faculty of Education will be primarily determining admission average for current students based on the Fall 2019 semester average and students will not be penalized for accepting a Pass instead of a numeric grade in this Winter semester. We will also be considering cases on an individual basis if students do not meet admission requirements based on their admissions average.

Future Undergraduate Applications:
While we cannot say for certain how Selections Committees will assess applications in the future, we know that this Winter 2020 semester will always be considered a unique semester. Keep in mind that Pass/Fail grades are not counted in GPA or averages, so if an average is calculated for admission at any time, only numeric grades can be used. In the future, your numeric grades in this or other semesters may be weighted more heavily if you select Pass/Fail this Winter 2020 semester for your courses.

For further information please email


Frequently Asked Questions - Undergraduate Admissions

1. What are the Admissions requirements?

Under each of the Undergraduate Programs we offer you can read about Admission Requirements.

2. How do I apply?

Visit this page for more information

3. Should I repeat courses if I need to raise my average?

Yes, you may choose to repeat some courses to increase your average. The Faculty of Education will only consider the higher grade of the two attempts.

4. Is preference given to specific degree(s) when applying to a second degree education program?

There is no preference given to degrees, however some programs do require completion of a specific degree. For admission requirements please visit here.

5. Is preference given to mature students?


6. Is there an academic cutoff for applying?

Yes. There is a minimum average requirement for most programs however meeting the minimum average does not guarantee admission. For admission requirements please visit here.

7. Are there any interviews for the admission process?

The Bachelor of Education (Primary/Elementary) as a Second Degree Conjoint with Certificate in STEM Education does require an interview as part of the selections process. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview. Other Undergraduate programs in the Faculty of Education do not require an interview.

8. When are transcripts required?

All transcripts should be received by the application deadline. Applicants who have courses in progress during the Winter semester may be considered for conditional admission. Final transcripts containing Winter semester grades should be received by June 15th.

9. How many letters of reference are required?

Two letters of reference are required for each program, the type of references required varies depending on the program. For admission requirements please visit here.

10. Whom should I ask for a reference?

An Academic Reference should be someone who has taught or supervised you and is familiar with your academic abilities. For applicants to the Music Education program, this should be a Faculty member in your School of Music. A Non-Academic Reference should be someone who is familiar with your contribution to work/volunteer activities. The type of reference required depends on the program for which you are applying. For admission requirements please visit

11. What if I have been out of university for a number of years and cannot provide an academic reference?

Typically, an academic reference is required however in some cases, exceptions may be made. For more information, please contact edadmiss@mun.ca.

12. Is volunteer experience required?

Volunteer experience is not required for Bachelor of Education programs, however sharing any volunteer experience in your Personal Statement may be beneficial during the selections process.

13. What should be included in the Personal statement, how long should your personal statement be and in what format should it be written?

The personal statement should be approximately one page in length and should be submitted online through the application for admission. You may choose to complete the statement in a word processer and copy/paste it into the field on the application if you wish. The Personal Statement should indicate why you feel you would be a good teacher; focus on your experience working with or teaching children, including volunteer work, any training relevant to the field of education, including awards or certificates earned, and your personal qualities, skills and interests which you feel make you a good candidate for admission to your program of choice.

14. Can I transfer from an Education Degree program I started at another institution and finish it at Memorial?

You can apply for transfer from another institution’s Education program, however a transfer credit evaluation will need to be completed through the Registrar’s Office to determine if any credits previously completed can be applied to Memorial’s Education program. Due to the cohort model for most of our programs, it is quite likely that the duration of the program will remain the same even if you receive credit for some courses. For more information please contact muneduc@mun.ca.

15. Is there an application fee?

There is an application fee to apply to Memorial. If you are a current, active Memorial student you will not be required to pay an application fee. If you are new or returning to Memorial you will need to pay the application fee at the time that you submit the application. For information about application fees please visit https://www.mun.ca/undergrad/apply/.

16. Have all documents been received to complete my application?

You can check the status of your application, including when supporting documents are received, by logging back into the application page using the login ID and Pin that you created, or by logging into your Self-Service account if you are a previous/current Memorial student. For assistance with this, please contact admissions@mun.ca.

17. I have received an email from the Office of the Registrar saying I have not submitted my final transcript. What does this mean?

The Office of the Registrar sends automated letters when documents are missing from applications. If you have submitted all required documents and are waiting for final Winter or Spring semester grades, there is nothing further for you to submit at this time. The email is simply a reminder that when grades are released, you will need to submit the final transcript. If you require clarification on this, please contact admissions@mun.ca.

18. I have questions and concerns regarding my application, who can I talk to?

If you have questions relating to the application process or status, please contact admissions@mun.ca. If you have questions relating to admission requirements to the Faculty of Education program or regarding a decision of the Faculty of Education on your application, please contact edadmiss@mun.ca.

19. What is the application deadline to apply?

For application deadlines please visit Dates and Deadlines

20. When will admission decisions be made?

Admissions decisions are typically made within 2 months of the application deadline. Decisions for programs starting in Spring will be made first, followed by programs starting in Fall.

21. How will I know if I have been accepted?

You will receive an official letter via email to your @mun.ca email account, or to your personal email account if you are new to Memorial.

22. Will I be notified if I did not get accepted?

All applicants are notified regarding the result of their application.

23. If I am not accepted, may I know why?

Yes, when you are notified of the decision made on your application, you will receive information regarding any requirements that were not met. If you require further clarification you may contact edadmiss@mun.ca.

24. What are the tuition fees?

Is there any financial assistance offered? Scholarships are available to eligible students. For more information on scholarships, tuition and fees, please visit https://www.mun.ca/undergrad/money/index.php For scholarships specific to Education students, please visit: link to our scholarships website.

25. If I am accepted is there a deposit to hold my seat?

Yes, the following programs require a $150 deposit to be paid at the time of accepting your offer. This deposit will be credited towards your tuition fees once classes have begun.

  • Bachelor of Education (Intermediate/Secondary)
  • Bachelor of Education (Intermediate/Secondary) Conjoint with the Diploma in Technology Education
  • Bachelor of Music Education as a Second Degree
  • Bachelor of Education (Primary/Elementary) as a Second Degree
  • Bachelor of Education (Primary/Elementary) as a Second Degree Conjoint with Certificate in STEM Education
  • Bachelor of Education (Post-Secondary) as a Second Degree

26. Are admission deferrals granted?

No, the Faculty of Education does not grant deferrals of admission. If you are unable to accept your offer of admission you may reapply in the future in competition with other applicants.