2016 Dean's Awards recognize excellence
Sep 14th, 2016
Presentation of the Dean's Awards for 2015/16 recognizing faculty and staff excellence in areas of teaching, research, community engagement and staff service headlined the Faculty of Education's 2016 fall retreat.
Awards handed out by Dr. Kirk Anderson, dean of Education, along with Dr. Rhonda Joy, associate dean of Education (graduate programs and research) who chaired this year's awards committee, celebrates the contributions made by faculty and staff during the 2015/16 academic year.
Dr. Anderson pointed out that celebrating and recognizing achievement is in keeping with the faculty's strategic plan, Strength Through Collaboration, developed last year to help guide work over the next five years.
"We had some tough decisions as a committee to make as there were a lot of strong candidates," said Dr. Joy, pointing out that in some cases there were multiple nominees for the various categories.
But committee members were all in agreement that their late colleague, Dr. Patricia Canning, was deserving of a Dean's Award for Research Excellence. Dr. Canning, who passed away last year, was a beloved faculty member, and a prolific researcher who produced substantial, and significant research over her many years in the Faculty of Education.
The annual Dean's Awards are modelled after the university-wide President's Awards, and are therefore intended to encourage submissions to the larger awards program.
Recipients of the 2015/16 Dean's awards are (in no particular order):
- Dr. Linda Coles, recipient of the Dean's Award for Excellence (non-tenured)
- Ms. Tina Hunt, recipient of the Dean's Staff Award for Service Excellence
- Dr. Greg Harris, and Dr. Patricia Canning, recipients of the Dean's Awards for Excellence in Research
- Dr. Heather McLeod, recipient of the Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Liza-Ann Tucker, recipient of the Dean's Staff Award for Service Excellence
- Dr. Gabrielle Young, recipient of the Dean's Award in Engagement and Community Service