Undergraduate Exchange: Frequently Asked Questions

Who can go on exchange?

Visit the Application Process page.

When can I participate in an exchange?

Students may go in the fall or winter semester. Limited spring semester options are sometimes available.

What will be my language of instruction?

Courses taught at all of our partner institutions, with the exception of a couple, are offered in English. Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (Chile) only offers courses in Spanish.

Some partner institutions require students to take an introductory course in the official language of that country. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure you have adequate basic knowledge to get around while abroad.

How can I increase my chances of getting my first choice of exchange institutions?

The application required for the exchange program is comprehensive. Students’ applications can be strengthened with a competitive academic record and extensive research on the host country and institution, as instructed in the exchange application.

How do I find out if I have been accepted for an exchange?

Applicants will be notified of their application decision at their @mun.ca email address approximately two to three weeks after the applicable deadline.

How can I find out about the partner institutions and countries that are available?

How can I hear about other students' experiences abroad?

  • Attend an exchange debrief meeting. Students considering the exchange program are welcome to join us for presentations from students who participated in the previous term. Details on upcoming meetings will be sent to students’ @mun.ca email addresses via the undergraduate listserv. Email busihelp@mun.ca to be added to the listserv.
  • Information on previous students’ experiences abroad, such as courses, cost, accommodations, etc., is kept on file at the APO. We can also connect students interested in participating with those who previously went on exchange. Contact us to schedule an appointment.

How can I make sure I will have all the necessary courses to graduate?

Before departing for exchange or while away, students should contact the APO to request a program audit to determine the courses they should register for in future semesters to graduate. Contact us for assistance with course information and course requirements.

What documents do I need to study in another country?

A passport is required to travel to most countries. Many countries also require students to obtain a student visa or study permit for their semester abroad. Please visit the website of the closest consulate of your host country for further details regarding visa/study permit requirements. Some countries require that students visit the consulate in person to obtain the appropriate documents. Many of the consulates that serve Newfoundland and Labrador are located in Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto.

How can I prepare to study in another country?

  • Learn about the history, culture, customs, politics and climate of the country. Some sources of information include the APO, former exchange participants, various websites (e.g. host institution, tourism) and travel guides (e.g. Lonely Planet and Frommers).
  • Use our pre-departure booklet and checklist.
  • Attend a mandatory pre-departure session.

Will I need to get any vaccinations?

Vaccinations are recommended for travel to some of the countries where our partner institutions are located such as Malaysia, China and Mexico. Family doctors can sometimes provide advice regarding vaccinations. Private international travel clinics such as the Avalon Travel Clinic and Jema International Travel Clinic are also great resources to obtain accurate advice regarding vaccines and general travel health.