The Writing Centre can deliver workshops on various elements of writing. These workshops are typically 45 minutes long and can be tailored to meet individual instructors' requirements. The following workshops can readily be organized upon request. We also gladly design other workshops, should instructors request them.
In-Class Introductions to the Writing Centre
We offer in-class introductions to the services offered by the Writing Centre.
- Using Transitional Words and Phrases
- Punctuation and Quotations
- Using and Integrating Quotations in One's Writing
- Effective Paraphrasing
- In-text Citations: MLA and APA Style
- Creating Effective Word Journals (scholarly article
- General Principles of Academic Writing
- Creating Working and Formal Outlines
- Preparing to Write a Research Paper
- Principles of Effective Technical Report Writing
- Format & Principles for Scientific Research Papers
- Writing Effective Introductions and Conclusions
- Incorporating Lines of Poetry into Text
- Elements of an Effective Critical Analysis
- Writing Research Proposals
- Writing Graduate Research Proposals
- Writing Literature Reviews
- Preparing Literature Reviews for Thesis Proposals
- Writing Articles for Publication
- Avoiding the Comma Splice
- Correcting Fragmented and Run-on Sentences
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement
- Pluralization, Possession, and the Apostrophe
- Using Commas, Colons, and Semicolons
Instructional Level Workshops (also offered as individual consultation)
- Principles and Techniques of Writing Instruction
- Designing the Writing Component of Research/Writing
- Providing Effective Feedback for Writing Assignments
- Addressing the Process of Writing in Writing Instruction.
NOTES: Instructors must be present while the workshop is being presented to the class. Several weeks' notice is recommended for scheduling purposes. In any given term, only a few new workshops ca be organized; if you would like us to create a workshop for you, please discuss it with us as soon as possible.
To date, we have given presentations to Business, Earth Science, English, Fisheries Resource Management, History, Music, Nursing, Psychology, Physical Education/Recreation, Physics, Social Work, Sociology, and Women's Studies classes.