Want to know some things that mark us as unique?
- We have our own dictionary... The Dictionary of Newfoundland English
- Bell Island, near St. John's, is the only land site in North America which German forces attacked during World War 2
- Newfoundland and Labrador is roughly the same size as the United Kingdom, but we have half a million people and they have 60 million... we have a lot of free space for you!
- The Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland was once a part of Africa.
- Newfoundland issued its own postage stamp from 1857-1949... and it is still a valid mailing stamp today.
- North America's only Viking Site, a UNESCO recognized site, is right here in Newfoundland at L'Anse aux Meadows.
- We are closer to some European cities than we are to cities in our own country! Check this out. As the crow flies, St. John's is over 3700 kilometres from Regina, Saskatchewan. We're only a little over 3300 to Dublin, Ireland.