Memorial’s Leadership Education and Preparation (LEAP) program is a two-day event that invites selected level II and III students from across Newfoundland and Labrador to experience life at Memorial. High school students get a head start on what to expect when they begin post-secondary. Students experience life at Memorial first-hand through attending classes of their choice that reflect personal interests, getting familiar with campus, and being immersed in Memorial's culture.
How to apply:
- LEAP Applications are made available through individual High Schools in Newfoundland and Labrador. Students interested in attending can ask their Guidance Counsellor/Principal for an Application Package or download it here and submit to their school for review.
- Schools can nominate a maximum of FOUR students to attend LEAP.
- In the past, LEAP was only offerred to Level III students, but starting in 2016, Level II students will have the option to attend as well. Please note that preference will be given to those who have not yet attended.
- Application Packages must be received from the school Guidance Counsellor or Principal directly. Those sent from students and/or parents will not be considered.
- HORIZONS students have space reserved for them at LEAP in their Level III year and applications will be sent directly to their listed e-mail and mailing addresses.
- The cost to attend is $90 and can be sent directly to the Answers office (Address listed in application package).
What will I do at LEAP?
- Attend a 2 day conference with sessions in Leadership Development and preparation for post-secondary.
- Stay overnight in on-campus residences.
- Take part in social activities with fellow LEAP students.
- Explore the St. John's campus of Memorial University.
- Meet with faculty and staff advisors related to their program of choice.
- Develop a personal definition of leadership to apply to their personal and professional lives.
Know the Benefits.
- Develop skills in leadership, team-building, critical thinking, and networking.
- Have an early introduction to life at Memorial University.
- Collaborate with fellow LEAP Students, current Memorial Students, staff, and faculty.
- Learn about a specific program of interest and work with faculty and staff to prepare for the first year of university.
- Take an extensive tour of the university, including information regarding services available to students.
Who Should Attend
- Students in Level II or III in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Students interested in attending Memorial University after graduating High School.
- Students looking for a head start in preparing for their post-secondary career.
- Students looking for personal and professional development opportunities.