VOCM Cares Coats For Kids
The School of Social Work partners with VOCM Cares in support of their annual Coats for Kids campaign. Volunteers are needed to collect winter wear from schools/businesses, sort merchandise, and assist at travelling depots and at the Legion. Collection times take place between October and November, based on requests from schools and various donation drop sites.
Note: This event has already occurred for 2013. Thanks so much to all who supported this initiative!
See Sheri McConnell, field education coordinator with the School of Social Work, on VOCM discussing the initiative.
Please check back next year for information on the 2014 campaign.
- Work collaboratively with Social Work students, Coats for Kids partners and other volunteers to operate the Coats for Kids project.
- Participate in Coats for Kids orientation.
- Collect coats at the cinema.
- Pick up winter clothing from collection points, schools, and other donors.
- Participate in sorting winter clothing at the depot (Royal Canadian Legion on Blackmarsh Road).
- Set up the depot prior to the opening.
- Arrange winter clothing and ensure depot appears organized and welcoming.
- Assist people in selecting winter clothing during depot hours of operation.
- Set up Metro Bus mobile Coats for Kids depot and assist people in selecting winter clothing during mobile depot hours of operation.
- Close depot and transfer remaining winter clothing to another distribution source.
- Celebrate the success of Coats for Kids by participating in a reflection session.
- Strong oral communication skills
- Well-developed organizational skills
- Commitment, reliability, and dependability
- Willingness to work hard and have fun
- Access to a reliable vehicle is helpful
If interested, please contact Raelene Vickers at firstname.lastname@example.org.