The J. R. Smallwood Foundation offers conference grants (up to $5,000.00) in support of organizing and hosting scholarly conferences that are within the Foundation's mandate. A conference and its organizers can be affiliated with Memorial University or other institutions. Applications for conference grants together with other grant applications are adjudicated by an Awards Panel.
This application must be completed by the person organizing the conference or a person delegated by the conference’s organizing committee.
The deadline for applications for the Conference Grant competition is November 1.
Please note that for the 2014 competition we are using fillable PDFs and digital signatures. Steps for using these pdfs are given below. If you need further help please consult this guide or email Arts Computing at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
- Before attempting to fill in these pdfs download and save them on your computer - do not attempt to fill them in using your browser.
- Once downloaded and saved, open the pdf in Adobe Reader (please use the latest version available) and fill it in. If you don't have the free Adobe Reader, please download it from the Adobe website.
- Once the form has been filled in, click on the digital signature box at the end of the form (the box with the little red tag on it) and then either create a new digital signature if you have not digitally signed a pdf before, or use an existing digital signature to sign the pdf. NOTE: Do not sign the pdf until the form is completed and ready for emailing; signing the pdf and then changing the fields will invalidate the document.
- Then forward the pdf to the emaill address indicated on the pdf.
To apply for a conference grant:
- Fill in and digitally sign the Conference Grant Application.
- Fill in the Applicant section on the Letter of Appraisal form and then email it to the referee so they can fill in their section. You should fill in and email one copy of the form for each referee you are using as a reference.