These Fellowships, the gift of the first Chancellor of the University, have been established to aid and encourage students who have taken their first degree at this University to pursue their studies for a British higher degree at a university of their choice in the United Kingdom. It is not intended that students who have obtained most of their education in Britain be eligible for a Fellowship. Awards are made by the Rothermere Fellowships Trust, on the recommendation of the President of Memorial University of Newfoundland.
The conditions of the award are as follows:
- Candidates shall have completed a bachelorís degree at Memorial University of Newfoundland and have completed or be about to complete a masterís degree either at Memorial University of Newfoundland or at another university in North America.
- Fellowships will be awarded only to candidates who are proceeding to the United Kingdom to work for a British higher degree. Fellowships will not be awarded to candidates who wish to extend their stay in Britain to obtain a further British higher degree. Persons who are full-time members of a faculty of Memorial University of Newfoundland are not eligible for a Rothermere Fellowship.
- The awards will be restricted to a maximum tenure of three years or the period requested in the candidateís application, whichever is the lesser. Continuation beyond the first year will depend on certification of competence and satisfactory progress.
- Candidates must accept and complete the term of years for which the Fellowship has been awarded unless the requirements for the qualifications for which the Fellowship was awarded have been completed before the term expires. No interruption of tenure or postponement of the date of commencement of the Fellowship will be allowed.
- One Fellowship is usually awarded each year.
- The value of the award is currently £12,500.00 per annum, plus college fees. The fees will be paid directly to the university concerned. The grant will be credited to the Fellowís banking account in quarterly instalments, paid in advance.
- The Trust will pay the airfare, economy class, for new Fellows from Newfoundland and Labrador to England. Return fare, economy class, will be paid with the proviso that the student must return within a month of the completion of the Fellowship in order to qualify for a refund of the cost of the fare back to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Completed applications must be submitted in duplicate to this office before the 30th of November and must be accompanied by the following documentation, also in duplicate:
- an official transcript of marks from Memorial University of Newfoundland and from any other university attended;
- a letter of recommendation from the dean of the faculty or school in which the applicant was registered as an undergraduate at Memorial University of Newfoundland;
- a letter of recommendation from the head of the department in which applicant majored as an undergraduate at Memorial University of Newfoundland; and
- a letter of recommendation from the applicantís present masterís level supervisor;
- as indicated in Section 15 of the application, applicants must submit a personal statement on how their research will contribute or be of value to Newfoundland and Labrador. The statement must also contain a section on the candidateís commitment to Newfoundland and Labrador.
Note that additional letters of recommendation and other information in support of the application may be submitted at the applicantís discretion.
Applicants are encouraged to begin the process of applying to universities in the United Kingdom before submitting the Rothermere Fellowship application.
For further information, please contact: Margot Brown, Executive Director/Assistant to the President, Room AA2028, Arts and Administration Building, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johnís, NL, A1C 5S7; Tel: (709) 737-8216; Fax: (709) 737-2059; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.