Knowing what to do when caught in a threatening situation enables you to remain calm and composed. Never put your own safety at risk, and avoid physical retaliation unless it is the last attempt for self defence.
- Make it clear to the aggressor that his/her actions are not acceptable.
- If possible disengage yourself from the situation.
- If you or someone has been injured, seek medical help when it is safe to do so.
- Document the situation. When (date and time) did it happen? Where did it occur? Who witnessed the event?
- Report the incident to your department supervisor or department head.
- Fill out an Accident/Incident Report form and forward it to Facilities Management.