Accidents/incidents involving injury
1. Ensure that the victim receives prompt medical attention. Those trained in First Aid should follow standard procedures to mitigate injury, providing there is no danger to themselves.
2. In the event of serious injury or illness, call 9-911 and request emergency responders. Stay with the injured person until help arrives.
3. Call Campus Enforcement and Patrol (4100) as soon as possible. CEP will take the lead in contacting those who must be informed, including family, Student Affairs and Services, Safety and Environmental Services, etc.
Note: Emergency calls to Campus Enforcement and Patrol, 4100, can be made from any pay phone on campus. There is no charge for these calls. Dialing instructions are included on each pay phone.
4. When an accident or serious injury has occurred, employees should also notify the department head as soon as possible. This is necessary to ensure prompt investigation and initiation of corrective action where necessary, and to expedite worker compensation claims.
Note: Workers' Compensation Regulations require reports to be submitted within 3 days of occurrence. Human Resources is responsible for assisting with processing of Worker's Compensation claims and employee rehabilitation.
5. Document what you have witnessed as accurately and quickly as possible.
6. Complete an accident/incident report form and forward it to the department head at the earliest opportunity. To obtain copies of this form, call the Safety and Environmental Services Office: 4393. An investigation will be undertaken.
7. Direct any media enquiries to the Division of Marketing and Communications.
8. Please respect the privacy of those individuals involved in the incident. Please do not discuss personal details or comment on the nature of the accident or injuries to others, including the media.
Incidents involving property damage, near-miss accidents and dangerous situations
In the event of an incident which had potential for serious injury or which involved major property/equipment damage, notify the department head/manager for the area and the Office of Safety and Environmental Services (4393) immediately.
An investigation will be undertaken, and where necessary, corrective action recommended and/or initiated.
Complete an Accident/Incident report form. To obtain copies of this form, contact the Safety and Environmental Services Office by calling 4393.
Forward to the Department Head, who is required to review the report and forward it on to the Manager of Safety and Environmental Services.
Department Head should provide comments and sign accident/incident reports, and forward a copy of accident/incident reports to the Safety Manager.
All incidents/accidents occurring after normal working hours should be reported to Campus Enforcement and Patrol at 737-8561.