Fill the Square
Every October during I love MUNdays, the Residence Charity Committee hosts our annual food or cash drive known as 'Fill the Square'!
Over the past few years, your generousity has enabled us to provide for the less fortunate as we attempt to fill the basketball court within Paton College with charitable food donations and donations for the VOCM Coats for Kids (CFK) Campaign.
While we accept all donations of non-perishable foods, these items in particular are always needed:
- bags of white flour;
- bags of sugar;
- bottles of cooking oil (corn, sunflower, or canola; not peanut, and preferably 946 ml, please);
- dry macaroni, spaghetti or rice (plain packages, family size, are preferred)
- cans of any kind of chunky soup
- cans of vegetable or chicken noodle soup;
- cans of fruit (not individual size);
- 1 litre containers of orange or apple juice;
- cans of milk (whole milk preferred);
- individual juice boxes (no kiwi please);
- cans of whole kernel corn, preferably 341ml;
- cans of protein: tuna, chicken, turkey or ham;
- cans of peas
The VOCM Cares CFK Campaign is a partnership with the Memorial University School of Social Work, Canadian Red Cross, Vibrant Communities, Atlantic Home Furnishings and Newfoundland Power. It is also supported by the Royal Canadian Legion and Metrobus.
On Kindness Friday, individuals from departments across campus and at Marine Institute are invited to bring the following items to the FILL THE SQUARE:
· Snow pants
· Skidoo suits
While the blitz will be the first VOCM Cares CFK collection, the Campaign will begin its community collections in late October where public donations can be brought to the School of Social Work and various community locations.