- Valuing and supporting the freedom of researchers to pursue research excellence that is based on their individual and collective intelligence, curiosity, ingenuity and creativity.
- Valuing and supporting all aspects of research including scholarship and creative activities, as well as the translation of knowledge into products, practices and policies, and other forms of community engagement.
- Valuing and supporting Memorial's special obligation to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador by supporting and building capacity for research excellence that:
- Addresses needs and opportunities for our province,
- Engages our researchers on matters of national and international significance,
- Contributes to Memorial's teaching and learning environment through academic programs of national and international caliber.
- Valuing and supporting overarching research themes that cut across academic units and address significant opportunities and challenges for which Memorial is particularly well-positioned to build nationally and internationally recognized research capacity.